Join now - be part of our community!

Comparing the Vaio Pocket with the Sony NW-HD 1

profile.country.de_DE.title
thwi
Visitor

Comparing the Vaio Pocket with the Sony NW-HD 1

Hi... and a happy new year to all of you.
Just out of curiosity....did anybody seriously compare the Vaio Pocket with the Sony NW-HD1?
As I basically like the sound quality of Artrac3plus i found some interesting specifications on the NW-HD1 compared to the Pocket. These are:
- more equalizer settings available (4 preset sound settings, 2 custom settings - six frequency ranges can be adjusted in seven sound levels each)
- better battery life (it seems to be that the NW-HD1 battery doesn´t go down when the device is turned off)
- Line out can be used even without putting the device on the cradle
- storing data via Windows Explorer (NW-HD1 is displayed as an external drive)
- the device is very small

On the downside:
- firmware upgrades can´t be done by the user himself
- no photo or album artwork display functions
- no real playlist function

I´d be interested in hearing your opinions on this topic...
Cheers,
Thomas

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
@4967457401015621
Visitor

personally i'm not too bothered about eq settings, they might allow you to better suit the player to the headphones you're using but i take the view that the tracks already been eq'd at the studio by a professional, and i'm not going to do a better job witha 4 (or 6) band eq, so that's fairly irrelevant to me.

the battery life on my vaio pocket is getting better (i was quite disappointed at first but its getting there) and it beats many other players into the ground anyway.

for a line out when not using the cradle i just plug my line out into the headphone socket - i prefer having the line out on the docking station as it means i can leave it attached to my hifi and just drop it in when i get backm rather than connecting lots of wires up.

the vaio pocket also shows up as an external drive.

as for size, it fits into my pocket and thats all that really matters to me.

these are (mainly) just my opinions, hope they help in some way! i didn't consider the NW-HD1 as i saw the vaio pocket 40gb for £235 and decided to get one before they sold out or put the price up (my brother bought one a few days earlier for £225 from the same shop!)

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi,

I have the HD1 and am very happy with it, all I wanted was a music player and it works very nicley. I too much prefer Atrac and have used it all along, so any MP3 upgrade for it will pass me by... I read it will be £15.

As with all rechargable batteries they will take 5-10 full charges before they reach maximum capacity in both devices, Its also best to fully discharge before charging.

I use a Belkin Tunecast II in the car and my PC is already connected to my main hifi.

If you are not bothered about photos then there is no reason to choose the Pocket.

The HD1 is £199 on amazon!!

C

profile.country.en_GB.title
@4967457401015621
Visitor

The HD1 is £199 on amazon!!

the vaio pocket 40gb is £235 on ebuyer, and the 20gb is £199 i think...:smileytongue:

chris_lewis
Visitor

Its quite mad how fast prices come down so fast these days.

Still, the HD range is much smaller.

Chris

AgentSmith
Visitor

I have actually owned them both but decided to keep the Vaio Pocket and returned the NW-HD 1.

thwi has listed all the main points but to correct you that the Vaio is also displayed as a external drive.

The main arriers that drew me to the Vaio was the color LCD display, remote, image viewer, larger HDD space, possibility of firmware upgrade by user and conectivity to my digital camera.
Even though the NW-HD 1 had 30hrs battrylife and a slim design, the Vaio just seemed better for my needs.

I also took a few pics of my MD MZ-R900, NW-HD 1 and Vaio Pocket.

profile.country.de_DE.title
thwi
Visitor

After weeks of comparing (not only those two models) I also decided on keeping the Vaio Pocket (and finally I am very happy with it).
I still believe that the build quality of the Pocket is the best you´ll find right now if you´re looking for a MP3-player.
...and I simply overlooked the fact that the Pocket is recognized as an external hard drive (I should have known this, though, as I did the firmware upgrade :slight_smile: ).
I simply love this device - the look, the feel, the sound quality (!) and the functionality. And for me the size is just about right as much smaller devices tend to look more like a toy (my personal opinion) or - in case of the ipod - like some kitchen accessoires .:smileytongue: .
It would be a great idea, though, if Sony could release some kind of a pocket size adapter for hooking the AC-adapter to the Pocket. This could replace the docking station while you´re on the road. I think that iAudio works with these adapters on their harddrive based models.
Cheers,
Thomas