Join now - be part of our community!

Confirm model???

ntrncx
Visitor

Confirm model???

Hello from a dissapointed and regreted vaio VGN-AR41L owner...

As the most of you i took it without cds/dvds.
From my mistake the hidden partition deleted,without knowing what to do i called sony and they told me that i have to buy the recovery discs...i bought since i didnt had any choice...Now i am trying to install and recovery my system but always when i boot the dvd and try to install it i recieve the message "error recovery utility cant open,you must confirm model"

what this suppose to mean?i tried to run it from windows but just dont open...(from my brothers windows version ultimate)now i am traveling whole europe for work and i cant work my $%&)*^$&( laptop.

anyone has any idea?

if it counts i have upgraded bios from http://support.vaio.sony.gr/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_el_GR_cons&c=0&s=VGN-AR&m=2676

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

Which language is your computer default system ?, because the link should a Russian version, so, maybe you got the wrong download...

I will try to ask directly to Sony and I will post back...

ntrncx
Visitor

Btw they are greek not russian.

its at english i downloaded the right one cause its the same file in all laguages for this model.

i think that bios update is the problem can anyhow to downgrade to previous one?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately you can't roll-back the BIOS update. ITBroker has already asked Sony for some help.

It is a long shot, but have you tried going into the BIOS (Tap F2 at startup) and resetting the default values, save and exit? Then reinsert the System Recovery Disc (Disc 1) and restart your Vaio.

:thinking:

ntrncx
Visitor

i think that this you said resets the configuration not the bios.

why they uploaded the new bios without a patch for the recovery discs?i must buy new ones now?or what i am supposed to do?

Visitor

Easy

Phone microsoft and ask them for a replacement disc. The serial on you laptop will cover the license. You will need to download the drovers maually.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ntrncx,

have you reset the BIOS to setup defaults as Blencogo suggested..?

place the recovery disc 1 in the CD/DVD drive

restart your Vaio and Press F2 when you see the Vaio logo.

wait for the BIOS to load

then press F9 Setup Defaults

ensure yes is highlighted and press enter to confirm

then press F10 Save and Exit, ensure yes is highlighted and press enter to confirm.

The Recovery utility should now load.

ntrncx
Visitor

i am not newbie thats why i get mad with my laptop.i already tried 2 days now i search in forumw and over interent for a solution.

has anyone the previous version of bios?i tried it...but as i said resstores teh configuration not the bios..

i tried everything to load it with empty hd,with another windows,after wipe and erase of sony application but still the same message

and to be more specific when i have the cd inside it boots normaly it prompts for laguage,after the menu appear with several options,system repair,system restore,commant promt,etc and the last one is vaio recovery utility.everything works perfect except the last one 😞 and the most important one.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ntrncx,

Sony have investigated ITBroker's referral.

It seems they sent you the wrong set of discs. They will contact you to arrange for a replacement set to be sent to you. Are your email and phone details correct in 'My Profile'?

Thanks ITBroker!

:slight_smile:

ntrncx
Visitor

really???
thats funny.yes they are correct but right now i am not in greece but in czech republic at prague,how i contact them to change my informations?

are you sure that are wrong cause the dvds write on them

Vaio Recovery Disc For sony series VGN-AR41S/M/L/E EN

Ah now i saw the post of ITBROKER the windows that were inside my hidden partition was EN/GR ( i could choose or english or greek)that means that i must pay again for the new ones?i hope not!!!and how i will give back the wrong ones?