Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting PS3 to AR31S via HDMI

jeffer
Visitor

Connecting PS3 to AR31S via HDMI

Is it possible to connect a PS3 to an AR31S via HDMI?

I did a search in the forum and some people said that connecting the PS3 to a laptop will cause low frame rates, slow down etc, but I don't understand why this would be the case. Isn't it just the same as connecting a VHS or DVD player to the AR31S? The instruction manual seems to suggest that connecting VHS or DVD player is ok (via S-Video anyway).

I'm guessing I can connect a PS3 to the AR31S via the S-Video slots on both machines, but I wanted to make use of the High Def screen on the laptop and the High Def output on the PS3.

Is this possible, or is the HDMI on the AR31S an OUT only?

4 REPLIES 4
davemee
Visitor

That's an early christmas, an AR31S, PS3 and HDMI display :slight_smile:

I'm not actually replying to your thread, I'm asking you another question in response: I too have an AR31S, but the remote control and webcam have both given up (the cam was astoundingly unpredictable before it gave up).

Have you had these problems with your AR31, or am I just lucky?

d

jeffer
Visitor

I don't get my AR31S til Friday, just doing some research ahead of it.

I don't have a HDTV nor a PS3 yet, but I was wondering if I would need to buy both, or if I can make use of my pricey laptop and get only a PS3.

Strange the the remote control has stopped working. Batteries?
As for the camera, I've heard that its a bit flakey...

Sorry, I can't provide much help.

davemee
Visitor

Hi Jeffer,

ah, okay, you've not got it yet. There is a HDMI socket on the right, next to S-Video in and out. Doubt that helps you much... HDMI isn't bi-directional, is it? The answer to that is probably the answer to your original question. :slight_smile:

Well, time makes fools of us all... after a restart, the remote is working again. I'm guessing a cryptically-named background service bombed out. I know it'll drop again at some point though. And the camera seems patchy with all vista models... sure there will be an update at some point (there's been 2 in the 2 weeks i've had this machine already).

It *is* a lovely machine, though, make no mistake about that. They finally stopped being cheap on these high-end machines and built a microphone in, which is essential in these days of skype. Can't say I'm loving the Toshiba bluetooth stack, which is the least pairable or usable bluetooth I've ever used...

Enjoy it, Jeffer!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jeffer,

I think you will find the HDMI is an output only.

Although you can import HD by Firewire or USB and edit it on the Vaio, you cannot stream it direct to the monitor.

All analogue inputs like s-video are captured via the TV card and the latency in the system will prevent advanced game play because of the lag.

Connectivity via HDMI will always be restricted as part of the 'anti copying' protection and DRM limitations.

If you want to enjoy your PS3, you will need to get a dedicated monitor or HD TV.

:slight_frown: