Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting sound out to Amp

drpellypo
Visitor

Connecting sound out to Amp

Hello,

Newbie here.. so hello to everyone!

I've an A215M, and was wondering how I could get sound out to a Harman Kardon Amp. Previously I had a cable running from the digital out on my PC which converted half way down to a coax cable which went in the back of the amp, and it did all the encoding etc. In the launcher application, under DVD options it mentiones having the audio set to SPDIF out, but even if I do that, there;s no sound coming through the amp at all.

Is this not possible?

7 REPLIES 7
feederfan
Visitor

I dont think your laptop has a SPDIF out. There are two options. You can either run a normal 3.5 Minijack to 2 phono cable to your amp, this would let you get Dolby Pro Logic. The best option if you want full surround is to buy an Audigy 2 Notebook PCMCIA card. You are Obviously a bit of an audiophile, so this is probably the best way to go for you. They are about £99 and feature 7.1 Surround decoding, Dolby EX, DTS 6.1, 96khz Surround playback, and 192Khz stereo playback, it will also allow you to play back DVD Audio Discs, as soon as I get the money for 1 i will buy one!! They also have an SPDIF out for connection to your amp. Hope that helps you

drpellypo
Visitor

I figured a lead change might be in order. I only want to connect it up so I can play my MP3's, as I already have a DVD setup seperate to the laptop.

Thanks for the advice!

feederfan
Visitor

Audigy 2 Notebook
theres the link to creative page about the Audigy 2 Notebook.

feederfan
Visitor

Oh okay then. Well for mine I just run a stereo minijack from the Headphone socket (which is a line out too) then this changes into a left and right phono plug to go into my amp

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would go down the 3.5mm jack to 2 phono route.

feederfan
Visitor

yup, works the best, just make sure you get a set of quality cables, Monstercable or something similar

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Gold is best