Join now - be part of our community!

k315s- why design a 3.06GHz without HTT when this chipset supports HTT

Jay1
Visitor

k315s- why design a 3.06GHz without HTT when this chipset supports HTT

First i bought a toshiba that Had the exact processor spec BUT IT HAD HYPER-TREADING (532) then i gave it back as the keypad was not working and then bought a k315s. This was the worst mistake i did as this sony is designed so poorly in terms of performance for a computer engineer user and not on looks. on top of that it was 300 pound cheaper to get the toshiba brand. The only differance was the sony screen. I can not even refund this laptop which i got from john lewis eventhough it was one day old. please let me know your views on this matter. i even phone sony to tell them why it is lacking performance and all they said is that you need to send laptop to them for a check up.

24 REPLIES 24
TygerTyger
Visitor

Well.............your £300 probably went on the screen to be honest, if not more. Although I think since you got it from John Lewis you get an extended warranty free of charge? At any rate you aren't the first person to mention this and I'm a little curious why Sony remove HT from most of their processors. The performance is lower than other computers, you exchange it for looking flash and having a nice screen, so their engineers looking at it won't make a blind bit of difference. Try asking them specifically why it doesn't have HT, although I would expect a blank silence myself.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think the main reason HT is not enabled because it would well overheat!

TygerTyger
Visitor

It was enabled on the K115z.

kee-lo_

Maybe they found out the hard way :slight_frown:

TygerTyger
Visitor

Could be. Incidentally Jay, hyperthreading does nothing to improve performance - it's really an energy saving device more than anything.

kee-lo_

Really what it does is give a process 50% CPU usage....

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

That in its self could cause CPU overheating and in a confined space this is dangerous!!! HT is far more suited to desktop systems,

kee-lo_

My sentiuments ecactly

Jay1
Visitor

Well when I mean performance I mean when doing multitasking between programs running at the same time and making shore that every thread and process is equalled out. I don¿t yet know if this works efficiency but I am currently learning this method at uni in theory it should work but I do not have that much experience in practical. I would think that If you do not run many programs at the same time then there is no point of having HTT. Lets say you are rendering images and at the same time you are watching tv on your pc. HTT should even out the process and both the programs should work more efficiency then a CPU without HTT as it cannot run more then one process at any given time. This is what I think and I could be wrong. Thanks for your view on this matter and I do agree with them as well