Join now - be part of our community!

Internet keeps dropping over wireless LAN

mattbees
Visitor

Internet keeps dropping over wireless LAN

My laptop is connected to a netgear wireless router, which routes the internet to my pc via ethernet cable and to my vaio through 802.11g. But every so often, my internet connection goes down on my laptop. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I noticed that it sorts itself out in about 5-10 mins but if i use the windows "repair" tool then it reconnects straight away.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

What¿s the model number of your router?

Why I ask is because my Netgear DG834G router used to drop the wireless connection frequently when I first got it. After upgrading the firmware to the latest version (V1.05.00) I have never had the same problem.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Windows Service Pack 2 is also quite good at fixing this problem.

feederfan
Visitor

upgrade your wifi card drivers. The LANExpress drivers that came with my sony did it all the time until i upgraded them through VAIO Link

richwill
Visitor

Is there a URL for Vaio-Link?

i've got a K115S and a Netgear 802.11b router which has similar problems insofar that i can be using it wireless for a period and then the link just seems to fail. I have to reboot the laptop to get it back again.

There have been no further firmware revisions to my router which is an MR314 and i can't seem to get updates for my laptop which I purchased in May04

regards

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Foxhound
Visitor

If you're experiencing the following:

You can use the internet via wireless but after an almost "fixed" ammount of time (like 3 min for example) you're wireless connection fails.

Then this is probably your problem:

The powersave funtion of the build-in wireless card.
Go to your Device Manager in your System. (Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager)
Under Network Adaptors look up your wireless Connection
and double click it for it's properties.
On the far right there should be a TAB named Power Management. Disable this. Restart if neccesary. Try and connent again. Hopefully your notebook wireless connection should be stable now.
Good luck:smileyhappy:

richwill
Visitor

Thanks for both the link and the powersaving advice. I'll try both.

Regards

mattbees
Visitor

Hey, sorry ive not replied at all. Ive got a WGR614v4 router, I already installed SP2 and the Wireless Lan driver update and I tried the power save settings thing but it still drops. I noticed there is an update for the router firmware though so I guess Ill have to try that next. Thanks for all your help