Join now - be part of our community!

CTRL KEY IS STUCK...PLEASE HELP

dizara
Visitor

CTRL KEY IS STUCK...PLEASE HELP

Hello everybody,

I am posting this in the "Desktop" section but I am really not sure if the problem I have got is because of the hardware or some kind of software failure e.g. a bug.

On my VAIO W1 the CTRL Key seems to be constantly switched ON. If i try to print letters the keys (some of them at least) activate different commands. When activating Word there is a warning that "Word has detected that you are holding down the ctrl key..."

The mouse is not working properly either. When I try to click some command buttons it just does not execute the command. Some other command are OK though. I tried to recover the computer to an earlier date but to no avail. Eventually I rebooted my vaio only to have the same thing goin on.

Am I wrong in thinking that this combination of problems leads to my keyboard in the sense of a mechanical filure or it could still be some bug or stuff? I did take off the plastic top of the key and the small rubber thing (with the contacts inside) seem to be OK and it moves normaly.

I would appreciate any kind of suggestion as I have no idea what it could be. Many thanks.

Alex

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Alex,

There is a possibility that you have 'sticky keys' turned on. Try holding down the space key and press the right shift key five times in quick succession, then click ‘cancel’ to turn off sticky keys.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Its always best to avoid getting 'sticky keys!':smileylaugh:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Strange isn't it?
Is the key in a depressed position (half down half up)?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Its always best to avoid getting 'sticky keys!

There speaks a man of vast experiance......:smileylaugh:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

:laughing: :laughing:

Thank god you guys bring humour back to this place

dizara
Visitor

Hi Alex,

There is a possibility that you have 'sticky keys' turned on. Try holding down the space key and press the right shift key five times in quick succession, then click ‘cancel’ to turn off sticky keys.

Hi Rich and thank you,

What you suggested migh well work but since I rebooted the computer it wants me to input the owner's name and I cannot go byond that point because I cannot type anything. Btw, I have tried to cancel 'sticky keys' as you suggested but I nothing happened. I am wondering if it could be because Windows is still in the setting up phase and it does not recognise the command.

Many thanks Rich

Alex

dizara
Visitor

Hi Alex,

Hi Rich and thank you,

What you suggested migh well work but since I rebooted the computer it wants me to input the owner's name and I cannot go byond that point because I cannot type anything. Btw, I have tried to cancel 'sticky keys' as you suggested but I nothing happened. I am wondering if it could be because Windows is still in the setting up phase and it does not recognise the command.

Many thanks Rich

Alex

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hmm, this is a bit of a puzzler Alex especially as you are now being asked to enter the machine owner’s name. I doubt that sticky keys would be activated until such time as Windows has loaded, which probably eliminates this as a cause of your problem.

This would seem to leave either a hardware problem or some malware on your system. You have not stated you model of desktop but, assuming that it has a separate keyboard, is there any possibility of borrowing another standard keyboard to try. If you have an integrated keyboard this may still be possible by plugging another one in to the PS/2 port.

If the above has the same result I suggest that you obtain a bootable virus scanning CD.

Another option would be to recover your system using the recovery CDs.

EDIT: Also see whether it is possible to bypass the request for the machine owner’s name by booting in safe mode (tap F8 at boot). If this is successful run a full virus/malware scan.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thank god you guys bring humour back to this place

Humour has been a bit lacking recently Kee-Lo. We need faith, DT and others back…..urgently!!!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat