Join now - be part of our community!

Date and time has to be reset each day

profile.country.en_GB.title
Shropshirelad
Visitor

Date and time has to be reset each day

I have a 2.5 year old VGC_LN2M all-in one desktop computer that requres the date and time to be reset each day. This has only happened in the last week and I have been operating windows 7 with service pack 1 for about 6 months with no problems.

Googling comes up with suggestions about changing the 'motherboard battery' but I can't find any Sony documentation that tells me if such a battery exists, how to change it and whether or not this is the problem.

I see lots of references to BIOS code that needs to be changed - but why now and how?

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Shropshirelad,

I would suspect the 'motherboard battery' (CMOS battery) and yes all PC’s have a battery that maintains system time and date and the system hardware settings for your computer. It would be unusual for the CMOS battery to fail after only 2.5 years but not unknown.

I suggest that you contact one of Sony’s service partners for a diagnosis and quotation.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGC-LN2M

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
Alfreday
New

Yes it is a flat battery. If you leave the computor connected to the mains when you close down the internal clock will continue working. It will only stop if you switch off/ unplug from the mains.What I am trying to find out is were the battery is, I cant find it. Can anybody help?

A.F.Day

I too can't find the cmos battery... can anyone help?