Join now - be part of our community!

Dead A217S - Fast help needed

stevep-4
Visitor

Dead A217S - Fast help needed

Viao 217S - mothers new computer...

Problem is the screen it seems.....

The computer was working fine and was backing up files to cd.

next view of the computer was a totally white screen and unable to do anything.

Tried turning computer on and off (complete turn off, including removing the battery). The initial start up sound is heard but the screen shows faint multi coloured lines, then goes pure white...then multi coloured lines then pure white again.

Windows does not load, neither is there a "VIAO" logo during boot up.

Have recommended turning computer on and pressing F8 repeatedly but this has no effect.

The computer is brand new (1 week old) and can go back to Sony...then big problem is that the computer was bought specifically to take on holiday (Friday!!)

Next move is to try a system restore using the restore DVDs, however, if the screen cannot be viewed, this may be difficult.

any Ideas chaps? Or a call to Sony at 9am Thursday to supply a new laptop in 12 hours?...considering mum took out a international warranty, maybe they could deliver a new laptop to her in New Zealand!!

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Take it back to the retailer Steve, hopefully they'll get it swapped fast

japenne64
New

:slight_smile:

japenne64
New

i bought the computer from sony on line so cant take it back
has anyone else had this problem:smileysad:

TygerTyger
Visitor

It doesn't matter where you bought it from, the retailer is responsible if it's soon after you bought it. It may well get dealt with quicker since you bought it from Sony, either contact them using the number on their website (first choice) or get the technical support number from www.vaio-link.com (second choice). Best would be the sony style number.

stevep-4
Visitor

About 60 calls to Sony (eventually someone answered!!).

Problem reckoned to be a graphics card failure. S**t happens, I guess.

Computer sent back to Sony this afternoon. once they receive it, the credit card should be reimbursed.

Lets hope the post office do their thing !!

kee-lo_

Hope they're paying the postage, so you can put it on Special Delivery before 9am.

japenne64
New

thanks for your help,many phone calls resulted in sony agreeing to refund credit card very hard to contact consumer help by phone,computer only two weeks old but was impressed with it until graphics card went us.will there be more problems with this grapic card? interesting to see
thanks from a silver surfer who is growing old disgracefully:smileyhappy:

kee-lo_

Just because it happens once doesn't mean it'll happen again thankfully.

stevep-4
Visitor

Looks like I am going to watch my behaviour on this forum now...especially with mum (Bearlover) joining in!