Join now - be part of our community!

Does Half Life 2 run on VAIO laptops with Radeon Mobility 9200 and above?

Woody27
Visitor

Does Half Life 2 run on VAIO laptops with Radeon Mobility 9200 and above?

Dear All,

I thought I would update you on my endevaurs with getting Half Life 2 (HL2) to run on my VAIO VGN-A115Z!

Firstly, there is an error on all of the european release DVD standard versions of the game:

If you select not to install counterstrike, the instillation will crash at the end with an error message (after about 10 mins! :smileyangry:). So select HL2 and counterstrike and then remove counterstrike later if you don't want it!

Well,

After an absurdly long install (see note below)... ...the game finally gets going!

All I can say is WOW! :smileygrin:

Facial animations are unbelivable and the game is absolutely great... ...I am starting to understand how it got 10 out of 10 from Edge magazine!

I have a Mobility Radeon 9200 with 64Mb and the latest Omega drivers installed and it runs perfectly in high res!

Woo Hoo! :smileygrin:

So I suggest you go buy.... ....and enjoy, I'll see you back on the ClubVAIO forum when you've finished!

NOTE: The installation process is clumbersome because the game can only be activated via Valve's new STEAM system. Firstly STEAM is installed and then encripted files of the game (all 4.5 Gb of them!) are placed on the hard drive. STEAM then has to register the game (on line) and this locks it to both the computer and the DVD it came on! STEAM then uncompresses and unencrypts the game files before the game can run! All of this (including an online update of STEAM) takes almost an hour!.... ....but it is worth it, beleive me! :smileygrin:

Anyway, I'm off, aliens to blast! :smileygrin:

CW

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds great!

TygerTyger
Visitor

Thank you Woody! Time for an early Xmas present I think :smileygrin:. It's around £27 for the basic edition with free postage online in many places if you look around, for anyone else wanting to buy....

kee-lo_
Justinl
Visitor

Woody we meet again :slight_smile:

I just installed HL2 last night and I totally agree it is an amazing game, I've got the A117s so it's a 970064meg card running latest modded cat 4.12's and the graphics are amazing.

I'll have a proper play tonight (wife allowing) and let you know what I think..

Cheers for the links as well Kee-Lo as helpful as ever.

kee-lo_

Haha no problem