Join now - be part of our community!

Dead screen FS115Z

mynameisnoteric
Visitor

Dead screen FS115Z

I bought my Viao 18 months ago (so out of warranty) and have been very pleased with its performance. It has been in constant use for most of that time and has been transported about quite a lot.

It started to get a bit glitchy a few weeks ago (the function keys would not work propery, ie volume up/down, brightness, etc) and the automatic swtiching to external monitor became unreliable (odd resolutions selected).

Suddenly I lost all data on the screen- it would backlight but not send data to the screen. I could not even use an external monitor when booting up (due to the above problem). I did manage to do a recovery/reinstall of the software on the C drive, which allows me to use an external monitor, but the problem with the data to the screen continues. Intermittantly I get the Viao symbol and XP boot up, but then it dies again.

I contacted Viao and they quoted me £500 tarif to get a replacement screen. I am not convinced that it is the screen that is the problem! Some people I have spoken to said that a run down battery on the video card may be the culprit. I have not seen any other info on-line about this.

I have taken the laptop apart to see if I can spot the offending part, but am having probs finding the video card, let alone a battery.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have a circuitboard diagram or such? I have a techy friend helping me, but we dont want to dig around blind.

Many thanks

Calvin

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Calvin and welcome to ClubVAIO.

Don't know if THIS HELPS - it's a bit vague.

Sounds like a bad connection on the graphics chipset or in the cables.

Sony quote for the 'worst case scenario' - they will not charge this much if the problem can be resolved cheaper.

Good Luck :thinking:

EDIT: I presume you have looked at the nVIDEA Site ?

:thinking: