Join now - be part of our community!

DELL Notebook batteries ( prod. by SONY)

Willi000
Visitor

DELL Notebook batteries ( prod. by SONY)

Hi,
today i read that DELL exchanges 4 Million Notebook rechargable batteries cause the could burn in some rare cases. These batteries were produced by SONY.

What you think , are now also our batteries of our VAIO Notebooks in danger ?

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It doesn't look like Sony have responded to the claims yet, I am hoping VAIO-Link will post a message on the portal soon to let people know what's going on

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Hi,
These batteries were produced by SONY.

Where did you hear that? The batteries were manufacturerd in Japan and in some cases in China but I haven't come across anything to suggest that this is a Sony issue.

HITS-UK
Visitor

The article actually says that some batteries were used by Sony but as Kee Lo said - let's wait and see before jumping to any conclusions ...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Here is link to another post on the subject Sony lithium-ion Batteries Fire Risk?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

My battery doesn't last long enough to catch fire!

:smileythinking:

sand45
Visitor

Re; Spontaneous Combustion & Dell Batteries

Yes, most alarming to hear about the battery problems.

My battery does not last long enough either, (just under an hour)
on my Sony VGN-A517B

Bye for now

Sand45:smileydevil:

kee-lo_

Sony's stock fell today, mainly due to the news

dennislamb
Visitor

BBC on line news carries article which quotes a Sony spokesman as saying that the problem does not affect Sony laptops - it is peculiar to a particular type of computer. Whatever that means?! No further explanation given.

tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

Here is Sony's official statement on the Dell battery recall:
Actually I received an updated statement!

Select VAIO PCs utilized the battery cells called to attention in recent announcements. However, the system configurations on these Sony products do not enhance the potential of overheat incidents and differ from those of other manufacturers. We believe that they are generally very safe. At present, we have not received (nor are aware of) any incident reports related to these products. Generally, the VAIO system configuration including design, layout and power system etc. differs from other PC manufacturers. In addition VAIO adopt its own design for safety technology, and Sony considers there is no danger of emission of smoke or fire from these products.

At this time, Sony anticipates no further recalls of battery packs using these particular battery cells.

for more info please send an email to: press@eu.sony.com

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)