Join now - be part of our community!

does vgn-nw20ef have 802.11n built in

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mesimps71
Visitor

does vgn-nw20ef have 802.11n built in

does the vgn-20ef have 802.11n built in cos it doesnt say in manaul and different website say different things some say 802.11n and some say 802.11n (draft) as i want to upgrade to a n router so has it or would i need to buy a wireless n adapter cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

801.11n was not actually certified as a universal standard until October 2009 - which is after your VGN-NW20EF was first released.

Between 2006 and October 2009 there were a few different Draft N standards.  The final version is backward compatible with the previous draft standards.

As your Vaio was released just before final certification, I have no doubt that your Vaio will be compatible with the new certified 802.11n standard and should connect OK to a new a/b/g/n router.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi mesimps71 and welcome.

The Specifications on the Sony website say: -

Wireless LAN Max. Date Rate (Mbps)

300 (RX)/ 150 (TX)

Wireless LAN Range (m)

max. 100

Wireless LAN Type

802.11a/b/g Draft n

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-nw-series/vgn-nw20ef-p

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
mesimps71
Visitor

so is it a 802.11 n or not?

what is draft n?   that doesn't really answer my question

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

801.11n was not actually certified as a universal standard until October 2009 - which is after your VGN-NW20EF was first released.

Between 2006 and October 2009 there were a few different Draft N standards.  The final version is backward compatible with the previous draft standards.

As your Vaio was released just before final certification, I have no doubt that your Vaio will be compatible with the new certified 802.11n standard and should connect OK to a new a/b/g/n router.

:thinking: