Join now - be part of our community!

FW11E Fn Key On Permenantly??

profile.country.en_GB.title
elwhy85
Visitor

FW11E Fn Key On Permenantly??

I've had this laptop for over 4 years but last year it broke with it displaying blank screen and flashing cursor and with me trhinking the motherboard had blown has been gathering dust in a cupboard.

Though last night for some strange reason it dawned on me it could be the harddrive so i swapped it over with another one i had and hey presto its working again :laughing:

The one problem im getting though is to type ive got to permenantly have the fn button depressed to type 'on that half of the screen'???

Just wondering if there is a solution... let me stress that the num lock key doesnt change anything and whethher its on or off makes no difference.

just to be clear when i press, for example, the letter p i get the * symbol and thats with num lock on and off and the only way for it to say p is if i have the fn key constantly pressed down, which makes typing annoying.

really hope there is a solution, thanks for reading

leroy x

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Leroy,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

When you press the Num Lk key does the corresponding Number lock light switch on & off..:smileyconfused:

elwhy85
Visitor

Yes it does Thalamus.

To be more precise when i press fn and num lock the the padlock with the up and down arrow inside lights up and when i press alt and num lock the padlock with 1 inside lights up.

sadly neither of these makes any difference to my problem...

elwhy85
Visitor

im guessing the padlock symbol with the up and down arrow is screen lock and the padlock symbol with the 1 inside is number lock?????

elwhy85
Visitor

very very strange with both lights off when i press p [ / and ; i get

* instead of p

- instead of ;

+ instead of /

and when i press [ it acts as the enter key

but the other fn keys like o i u j k l m dont work at all

actually except u whch acts as a backspace

obv when i press alt and num lock and the symbol lights up they act 'normally' and spell the symbols they should as dictated by what it says in orange.

and then through all this pressing fn and typing will spell out everything as it should

fyi all keys with no orange lettering work absolutely fine whether fn ispressed or not......

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

when i press fn and num lock the the padlock with the up and down arrow 
 inside lights up and when i press alt and num lock the padlock with 1  
inside lights up.

Does the Num Lock light ever switch off..:smileyconfused:

im guessing the padlock symbol with the up and down arrow is screen lock  and the padlock symbol with the 1 inside is number lock?????

Spot on, yes that would be correct..:smileyhappy:

elwhy85
Visitor

yes it switches on and off at will whenever i press i press alt and fn together.

and thanks for your continued help :slight_smile:

elwhy85
Visitor

No lol i literally winged it straight in didnt format it or anything.... seemed to work fine though apart from this problem....

d'you think this might be whats making it go wrong???

i could do a fresh install but its a lot of hassle for it not to solve anything....

i was kinda hoping there'd be some special file that would just remap the keyboard or something....  kinda wishful thinking i know lol...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

When you installed the new hard drive did you install the original Microsoft operating system using the recovery disc's.?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

No lol i literally winged it straight in didnt format it or anything.... seemed to work fine though apart from this problem....

That's not a good thing, when windows was installed on that HDD it would have used the specs of the PC that the HDD was sitting in at the time, could cause all sorts of conflicts along the way..

Have you tried going into device manager & removing the keyboard(s) then rebooting your Vaio.?