Join now - be part of our community!

Dual boot problem

Rude_boiy
Visitor

Dual boot problem

Before reformatting windows on my machine i had a dual boot setup of (kubuntu) Linux and windows xp professional, but since the reformat i have lost my dual boot setup. Is there any way of fixing this with out reinstalling Linux !

6 REPLIES 6
Seawit
Visitor

Yes, it is possible. You'll need BootStar. Unfortunately for the time being their server is down. Maybe later you'll manage to get it.

pmitev
Visitor

It is as simple as this couple of commands if you are lucky:

Boot with a live cd that has grub. Issue this as root:

grub (enter)
root (hd0,?) (? is where your /boot resides)
setup (hd0)

Done!

Before doing anything I will suggest reading a little bit on the subject. Try googling for
"grub kubuntu restore boot" and some other variations - the solution is not distribution specific.

Here for example [link ] or here [link ]

Rude_boiy
Visitor

thank for your help, i will try that!

Rude_boiy
Visitor

Just crossed into one problem how do i download a bootable linux cd using iso or similar sites in windows as when i do it using iso, extract it and use it in boot it doesnt seem to work, any help !

Rude_boiy
Visitor

Just crossed into one problem how do i download a bootable linux cd using iso or similar sites in windows as when i do it using iso, extract it and use it in boot it doesnt seem to work, any help !

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

What are you using to make the ISO?

I'd use something like Nero and burn it straight off after download, as the ISO has a boot record which enables Linux to boot