Join now - be part of our community!

Dual Monitor issue

IceXS
Visitor

Dual Monitor issue

Hi,

Fore warning...this post is fairly long so that I can give as much detail as I can

Just bought a Samsung SM940MW (LCD TV) and it works great with my xbox and dvd player, however the main reason I bought this was as a second monitor...and I can't get it to work!

Upon first connection to my computer (via analog), Windows XP showed no indication that I had connected the monitor. However I installed the supplied drivers for the Samsung anyway. Still nothing. The screen on the Samsung is black with a white box floating around around the screen which reads..."Check Signal cable.PC"

I tried another cable and still no luck.

My computer is a Sony Vaio FS285M (laptop) running a nVIDIA Geforce Go6200 with Driver version 70.86. Sony have not released any further updates since this but I did manage to get 81.95 working, but this had no effect on the moitor so I reverted to 70.86.

I have created a new profile for the Samsung using my nVIDIA settings giving it a 1440x900 res, and refresh rate of 60. Although it is 24 bit, i have tried 16 and 32....still nothing.

When I first bought this monitor, I returned it for another one thinking the monitor was at fault. However, I have the same results from the replacement. I would still assume that the monitor is at fault, however, my friend tried it on his Sony Vaio (different model to mine and running an ATi card), and the Samsung worked straight away.

I therefore assumed I definately have a hardware problem with my port...BUT i tried 2 different TFT displays and a CRT display in dual monitor mode and both work fine with my laptop!

I am therefore at a total loss as to what to try next...I have seen the samsung working, and have seen my laptop working, just not with each other!

Any suggestions before I pull all my hair out? 😞

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yes I can see your problem here.

Its a funny one to crack, but you've successfully isolated the problem being with the external LCD panel - as that works absolutely fine.

I'm inclined to say there might be a problem with the VGA port on the laptop, which initially seemed more likely, but then you say you've tried two other monitors or LCD's with success.

Beyond the obvious one, of ensuring the resolution is in range, I'm at a bit of a loss on what to suggest. Have you tried using 1024x768 as the resolution on the Samsung LCD? Its a resolution that I'm sure most modern LCD's will support without too many problems. At least this way if a picture forms on the screen after setting 1024x768, 32 bit Colour, then it may be the LCD not accepting your chosen resolution.

I admit that is a stab in the dark, and maybe you have already tried that.

The only other thing I'd suggest is getting Sony to look at it. Some advice here though is NOT to go for the e-Support route, as they are as helpful as wearing shorts and t-shirts in the middle of the South Pole IMHO.

Instead you could try ringing one of Sony's helpdesk people from VAIO Link, by getting the phone number from HERE and just pick the country you're calling from.

I can only apologise for not being more helpful, but this is a wierd problem...

Anyway, good luck, and I hope if nothing else, that Sony will sort it out for you, even if it does mean being without your laptop for about 6 weeks (sometimes more sometimes less).

-- James

IceXS
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions...I have tried that resolution, along with nearly all others lol

I've also spoken with sony. They informed me that if I couldnt get another TFT to work as a dual monitor, then I have a hardware problem with the port. But if I could get a TFT to work, then to contact the monitors manufacturer (whom im waiting for a callback from). Although keep in mind that have seen this LCD monitor working fine with another vaio!

As I said previously, I did get a TFT to work straight away with no probs so am still at a loss of what the problem is!...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi IceXS and welcome to Club Vaio.

I'm afraid we have had this problem before. Some Sony Vaios are incompatible with some Samsung products - both monitors and TVs.

Have a look at THIS THREAD which includes a response from Vaio-Link.

It appears that Samsung configure their VGA socket differently from everyone else!!!

:slight_frown:

IceXS
Visitor

Thanks for the info...

Doesnt look like there is much hope though. I tried disabling the VAIO Event Service but again this made no difference.

I'm waiting for a call back from Samsung tomorrow to see what they have to say but I think I'm going for the easy option and returning the TV/Monitor, and going for a make that I defo know has no compatibility issues.

Any other suggestions are still welcome though as I would like to get this tv working!...

Please keep in mind that im an average user so if you are talking about a procedure which may be quite complicated, such as modding .inf files or something similar...explain as if i know nothing about computers 🙂

Thanks again