Join now - be part of our community!

DVD Region free VGN FE11M

ben178v
Visitor

DVD Region free VGN FE11M

I travel a lot between America and the uk but in doing so I have run out of changes for my dvd player is it possible to make it region free so that I may use the laptop that I bought to watch the dvds that I also bought? I understand why they do it put I do find it very annoying that it affects me this way>
Thanks Ben
I have a VGN FE11M laptop
I don't know the model of my dvd player so if anybody knows how to find this that would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I don't know the model of my dvd player so if anybody knows how to find this that would be much appreciated.

Hi ben,

we are not able to discuss unlocking of your drive on this forum..

Press the windows key+R to open the Run box, then type devmgmt.msc and click ok..

Click Continue on the User Account Control window.

Double click dvd/cd-rom drives to expand the tree.

You should now see your CD/DVD drive listed.. :slight_smile:

ben178v
Visitor

Ok thanks for that. I do find it a tad annoying that I can't use equipment that I bought. Are you allowed to offer information on a region free drive that I could fit to my laptop instead of the defunct one that I have now?
Cheers Ben

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Ben,

I agree it is annoying that region codes restrict the area of the world in which DVD's can be played ..

I'm not sure if you can buy region free CD/DVD drives, the problem is if you found one the faceplate provided may not fit the shape of your Vaio's casing.. :slight_frown:

profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

You can only change the region of your DVD player for a limited number of times (usually 4 times) after this the DVD will be locked on a region. If you want to have it unlocked again, your VAIO will need to be picked up for chargeable repair.

Important Note: VAIO does not support changing the region of your DVD player, if your DVD player is not functioning due to changing the region or due to software making the player Region Free, all repairs regarding this will be considered out of warranty.

Perform a recovery (if needed, reinstall your DVD player software separately after the recovery). If you still are not able to play a DVD, contact VAIO-Link for further assistance for a pickup. Please note that if you have performed any of the actions mentioned above, your repair will be considered out of warranty.

Yes, ever you can install a software to solve this issue, but it's your own risk...