Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade/change hard disk

buco55
Visitor

Upgrade/change hard disk

Currently I have a Sony Vaio FZ21E laptop with 160 GB of hard disc space. But I really need a bigger hard/disc - 300GB should do the trick as currently I have an extral drive of 120GB which is full at all times.

Is there a way of upgrading the hard disk on this model without the need to go to a retailer/service to do this? What kind/type of hard disk should I look for? Is there the possibility to add maybe 2 HDD's in the laptop?

Edit
What is the maximum possible hard drive that I can put? Can I place 500GB hard drive inside of it?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

I would like to suggest for you to buy a Mobile Hard Drives.

Please, you will found several models here...

buco55
Visitor

Yes, I already have a Lacie Mobile Hard Drive (designed by Porsche) which is 120GB. The problem is that I put all m music, pictures, movies .... there and I have to have it always with me. In case I disconnect it from the laptop, the next time I open Media Player, it just starts to compile my whole library from the beginning.

That is why I want an internal HDD with higher (at least 300GB) capacity (if possible).

itbroker
Visitor

Actually, you can disable this function and the media player will not index (compile) the library anymore...

Also, you can try to use the CD or re-install the software again (even the Windows) just to repair the libraries...

Please, check the Install/Remove options, there you can repair the softwares installed.

Which Media player you have ?

buco55
Visitor

I have the Windows Media Player 11 (the one that comes with Vista).
It is really irritating to see that updating/changing of the media library.

How can I disable this updating of the library? Will it mean that new songs will not be automatically added to the library?

And about the HD's - any idea/recommendation on some with at least 300GB?

itbroker
Visitor

How can I disable this updating of the library? Will it mean that new songs will not be automatically added to the library?

On WMP, you have 02 (two) options...

To change which folders are monitored by the Player

1) Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Add to Library.

2) In the Add to Library dialog box, click one of the following options:

My personal folders. Use this option to monitor the digital media files stored in your personal Music, Pictures, and Videos folders, as well as any files stored in the public Music, Pictures, and Video folders that everyone who uses your computer has access to.

My folders and those of others that I can access. Use this option to monitor the digital media files stored in your personal Music, Pictures, and Videos folders, the files stored in the public Music, Pictures, and Video folders, as well as the files stored in the personal Music, Pictures, and Videos folders that belong to other users on your computer. Note that you can only monitor the files stored in another user's personal folder if that person has chosen to share the folder with you. For information about how to share a folder with another person on your computer, see Windows Help and Support.

3) Click Advanced Options, and then do any of the following:

To monitor additional folders, click Add, and then specify the location of the folder.

To stop monitoring a folder that you previously added, click the folder that you want to remove from the list, and then click Remove. To stop monitoring a folder that has been automatically added, click the folder, and then click Ignore.

To specify whether the Player should add files previously deleted from the library, select or clear the Add files previously deleted from library check box.

To prevent files that are smaller than a certain size from being added to the library, enter the file size limits in the Audio files and Video files boxes.

To change which media files are automatically added to the library when played

Click the arrow below the Library tab, click More Options, and then click the Player tab.

To prevent media files on your computer or the Internet from being added to your library when you play them, clear the Add media files to library when played check box.

HARD Drives

I saw several options of Mobile HD with 300Gb, just follow the link here...

It's up to you :smileygrin: