Join now - be part of our community!

DVD ROM not recognising any disc

steveruss
Visitor

DVD ROM not recognising any disc

Hi

I've got a VAIO PCV-RS704, with I believe OEM version LG DVD ROM (HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR 8163B). When I put a disc in the drive it will spin it for a while, but fails to recognise there is a disc: 'please insert a disk into drive'

I have been through all the windows trouble-shooting pages including uninstalling the driver but to no success.

It is my understanding because it is an OEM drive I shouldn’t attempt to update the firmware.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Is my drive dead, if so does anyone no of a replacement drive that will still fit in the case?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
davenash
Visitor

Hi

I have a drive that is working fine - or at least it was before I took it out of my RZ to fit another writer. If you're interested Id be happy to let you have it for £15 + postage - assuming youre in the UK.

Regards

Dave

stampede
Visitor

Hi Steveruss,
Did you ever find out what the problem was and mebbe how to solve it. I gave up on my DVD rom drive, cos it was having exact same problems as yours - tho my machine is PCG-VX71P.
I tried it again recently and it worked a couple of times but has resorted to the same old message again now: insert a Disk into drive... Very boring. Am still looking for other threads in here that might help, but throught you may have got an answer by now.
Mike C, Stampede