Join now - be part of our community!

STARTUP BIOS prompt - PCI Network Controller = No wireless?

Benn
Visitor

STARTUP BIOS prompt - PCI Network Controller = No wireless?

Hi There
I own a SONY PCG-TR5MP.
Recently it has started (Booted) with a BIOS report page. I ignore BIOS and choose ‘Resume’ – and thus Windows XP loads successfully. All works well accept for the wireless capability. It no longer functions / exists at all?
However Internet does function via an Ethernet connection.

Could anyone please assist with an explanation / solution to this annoying ‘GLITCH’.
Below is a copy of the warning / statement shown immediately after powering on the laptop.

Phoenix NoteBios 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-2002 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

CPU = Intel (R) Pentium (R) M processor 1100MHz
639k System RAM Passed
1018M Extended RAM Passed
1024K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
Fixed Disk O: TOSHIBA MK4004GAH
ATAPI CD-ROM: MATSHITAUJ-812
Mouse initialized
S/N: 1234567890
ERROR
Resource Conflict – PCI Network Controller in slot 03
Bus: 02, Device: 0B, Function: 00

Press to Resume, to Setup

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Regards

Benn Soutine http://www.club-vaio.com/mvnplugin/mvnforum/images/emotion/confused.gif
confused

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Benn,

Welcome to Club Vaio!

Sounds like an IRQ conflict. Go to Device Manager and see if there is a warning against your Wireless Network Adapter. Right-Click on it and choose 'Uninstall'. Re-boot your Vaio and this will force Windows to reload the drivers and allocate a new IRQ address. This should resolve the conflict.

If it doesn't, come back and we will have to try and find what it is conflicting with.

:slight_smile:

Benn
Visitor

Hi There
Tried that
System wished to search for driver - I chose Internet and then later I chose each of the recovery discs and 2 million other ideas......including the vaio utilities and drivers I downloaded from the net.....

Bugger!
Still not working, weird?

Regards Benn

Benn
Visitor

Re: STARTUP BIOS prompt - PCI Network Controller = No wireless? Reply to this Post
Hi There
Tried that
System wished to search for driver - I chose Internet and then later I chose each of the recovery discs and 2 million other ideas......including the vaio utilities and drivers I downloaded from the net.....

Bugger!
Still not working, weird?

Regards Benn

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Bugger! Still not working, weird?

I'll second that!!

Have you changed any settings in the BIOS recently? May be worth resetting the default settings. Have you tried a System Restore to a point when the Wireless was working?

If this fails you are going to have to uninstall more than just the Wireless Adapter.

Go to Start>>Run and type in 'msinfo32.exe' (without the quotes)

Expand 'Hardware Resources' and have a look in 'Conflicts/Sharing'. See if you can see what is sharing resources with your Wireless Adapter.

Also have a look in IRQs and see what is sharing the same IRQ.

Uninstall everything it is sharing with and re-boot. If asked for a driver for your wireless card, point it at the Sony Driver in the Preinstalled Drivers download. May be a good idea to reinstall all Network Adapters.

Good Luck!!

:smileythinking:

EDIT: A quick word of advice!! Go to your first post in this thread and edit out your Vaio Serial Number - you wouldn't want anyone else using this!

:wink:

Benn
Visitor

Ok
I did recently (2 wks ago) re-start my laptop from scratch / recover - Apart from time consuming - I followed all instructions and had no probs....until current problem. Wireless did however function since rebuild for a period of three days - no changes were made or progs added - Until recently on start up I was presented with the BIOS blurb.

I am pushing my comp boundaries, but appreciate the clear instructions.

I defaulted BIOS = no change – Still no comp acknowledgement of wireless after reboot.

I checked for conflict etc and IRQs - Loads of stuff using IRQ9, including a Network Controller but no wording to indicate anything Wireless? (Or is wireless part of the Network Controller?) Did not uninstall cos don't know the procedure / where to start.

I went for the recent restore option - to the earliest point I could find (Only a couple of weeks cos of complete recovery) Anyway started her up and Wizard tried searching for Network Controller again - ...Tried a few choices incl checking the internet(Via ethernet) No joy, but in fairness I don't really know where to look

Very frustrated and no further forward
Any ideas???????

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Benn,

Just one question - when you rebooted after uninstalling your wireless adapter, did you still get the BOIS message?

I had hoped we would have discovered what is causing the conflict and change the IRQ manually. I think you are getting near to having to consider a full recovery of drive C:\ from your recovery discs.

You could try just once again to resolve the problem without taking this drastic action. I think this is what I would try myself first.

Go to Device Manager and uninstall all your Network Adapters - wired and wireless. Uninstall the Device (not just the driver) by right clicking on the Device and choosing uninstall. Shut your computer down and turn ON your wireless switch before rebooting again. If the system does not find the drivers automatically, guide it to the Sony Preinstalled drivers in C:\Drivers or in the download directory.

If this doesn't work, the only option I can think of is to Recover your system from the discs.

:smileythinking:

Benn
Visitor

Hi Mate
Tried all - no joy
Am recovering C drive.......aren't computers fun!
Fingers crossed
Thanks for assistance
esupport has been useless - login dramas folowed by no replies - lost my patience and so tried the forum as a last resort - In future (hopefully not) I'll use forum first

Benn

Benn
Visitor

HI
Patience is wearing thin........
System still has no Network Controller Driver - Is there a dedicated site that I can download from. System does not seem content with searching recovery discs or internet automatically?

Soon laptop will become a football.....

Benn

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Benn,

Try pointing the found new hardware wizard in the direction of C:\Windows\inf, the file you need is w22n51.inf. If you have no joy with that down load the pre-installed drivers from Vaio-Link.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat