Join now - be part of our community!

New DVD drive

Seanwoodward33
Visitor

New DVD drive

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me.
My DVD drive in my sony PCG-GRT996ZP has finally died after signs it was on its way out over the last 6 months. It now reads no CD's or DVD's so I need to get a new one.
Do i have to get a sony drive again or, as a poor student, can i buy any drive? What i was wondering was whether all drives will be compatable with the quick release mechanism that my laptop has, instead of screws to hold the drive inplace?
Any help will be much apprechieted.
Cheers

Sean

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum.

The quick answer is no, not all drives will be compatible. Even if an alternative drive will fit your quick release mechanism you may find difficulty in fitting the bezel on your current drive to the new one. I would suggest that you check eBay for an identical (new) drive or at least one in the same series.

An external USB drive maybe a cheaper alternative if mobility is not paramount.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Seanwoodward33
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks very much for your advice. I shall check on ebay for a new or similar drive to the one I currently have.

From looking at the current drive i have, it looks like it is in a "housing". Is this the bezel you talk of? Is it possible, if very difficult, to remove it to replace the DVD drive with another?

Thanks in for your help so far

Sean

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Sean,

No, I was referring to the front facia that is attached to the drive and contains the release button and Led (your replacement drive will not be supplied with this). As long as the replacement drive is identical then it is a simple procedure to swap both the bezel and carriage (housing).

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Seanwoodward33
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks alot for your help. I will try my best to find another drive the same or at least similar, before settling for an external one if i can't.

Thanks again

Sean