Join now - be part of our community!

DVD RW drive has stopped working

damndirtyape
Visitor

DVD RW drive has stopped working

My cd/dvd drive stopped working suddenly last week. I was using roxio 9.0 to burn some movies, which it did, but when I tried to access the drive a few days later, it would not recognise any cd or dvd disc inserted into it. It has not disappeared or anything, and device manager says that it is working properly, but it refuses to read anything, and when I try to open it, it just says 'please insert a disc into drive f', even when one is already in there. I have tried removing roxio, updating drivers, etc., but nothing seems to work. Any ideas on what I can do next, short of reinstalling the whole system (which may be a problem if my dvd drive isn't working!)? I have looked through the forums but have not found anything like this yet.

It is a VAIO VGN-N21E, running Windows Vista Home Premium. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_.title
@0264405400002079
Visitor

Hi damndirtyape,
Welcome to club vaio.It may be your Autoplay settings.Here is a link to a microsoft download that may help if it is the autoplay setting.
http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=autoplay

Download the Autoplay wizard file and run it.You will get an option of what to check,so click on your dvd drive and it will give a status,if it says it needs repairing then click the repair tab and you then have to reboot the computer.
I hope this helps you.
Keep us posted on your progress. :smileygrin: