Join now - be part of our community!

Replacement Blu-Ray Drive.

Reaver
Visitor

Replacement Blu-Ray Drive.

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A417M with the dreaded DW-D56A which has been faulty for a while so I'm after replacing it. I'm considering getting the DW-Q58A to replace it but then I wondered if there was a Blu-Ray drive out which can replace my DW-D56A which could read Blu-Ray discs and burn cd's and DVD+/-R's.

Is there such a drive I could purchase and use my existing faceplate or would it be wiser just getting the DW-Q58A to replace my faulty one?

4 REPLIES 4
Reaver
Visitor

I take it there isn't no blue-ray drive available as a straight swap for my DW-D56A?

Can someone confirm that it's 100% definite that the DW-Q58A will be a straight swap for my drive with no problems? i.e known faults..bezel not fitting etc...

Thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Blu ray is still in it's infancy, so it's hard to say whether it would work with your machine. The one in the A series is probably the easiest choice.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think Sony started fitting the DW-Q58A as a replacement for the dreaded DW-D56A drives.

I'm sue it is mentioned somewhere in the DW-D56A Long Thread: -

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=31787

:wink:

Reaver
Visitor

Blu ray is still in it's infancy, so it's hard to say whether it would work with your machine.  The one in the A series is probably the easiest choice.
Am I right in thinking that any blu-ray drive, obviously notebook compatible, will work. My current drive is a standard oblong with no curved edges so a replacement should slot right in? I'll check out the A series drive, thanks for that :smileygrin: I'm currently looking at the Panasonic UJ-215 blu-ray writer.