Join now - be part of our community!

DVD RW DW D-56A Drive Disc recognition

dtrive
Visitor

DVD RW DW D-56A Drive Disc recognition

Dear All, Hello, I am new. I recently bought Vaio PCG-K415S with Sony DVD RW DW D-56A optical drive. It worked OK for few days. But after I did system recovery due to crash, it seems to have stopped recognizing any optical media in this drive. Explorer comes out with please insert disc in drive F:.
I checked the device manager and it say drive is working perfect. I downloaded and installed the Optical driver update for it PFS3-2 from vaio link.
Also it takes longer to execute the simple commands now like opening my computer or any applications etc.
At present the optical drive does not read any disc at all. CD, DVD new, recorded nothing at all.
Please help.:smileyconfused:

14 REPLIES 14
dtrive
Visitor

Dear Tyger,
Thanks for your advise.
I have uninstalled and restarted the laptop. It redetected the drive.
But still does not read CD/CD-R. However it does read DVD/DVD-R and writes DVD-R.
I have updated the firmware for this drive only by the one which I got it from Vaio-Link website and that was sony recommended firmware update for the drive.
Any suggestions?
Thanjs.
dtrive

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

dtrive,

This is beginning to look like a hardware problem. There is a possibility that your drive has separate lasers for CD and DVD and the CD one has failed. Having said that the Matshita optical drive in my laptop has only one laser and also will only read DVD's not CD's (I have yet to find a solution). It looks as though a call to Sony is your next option

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
dtrive
Visitor

Thanks Rich
Will do that
Hope they can solve the issue.
If not is it pssible to change the drive all together?
dtrive

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Yes it is possible to fit a new drive but make sure that it is a hardware issue before parting with your cash.
The cost of a bare drive in the US is approx. $100 plus shipping, but I can¿t find a UK source.
Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
dtrive
Visitor

Dear Rich, Tony and Tyger,
Hello again.
Thanks for your advise to solve my problem.
I finally contacted Vaio-Link support. And fortunately as my laptop was still under warranty, they arranged to pick up and analysed.
Seems my Sony DVD DW56A drive had some problem,. They have replaced it with a new one and send the laptop back. Everything is working perfectly to my great delight.

Once again I thank you all for the help and support.
With Regards.
dtrive