Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-RW for Sony Vaio VGN-FS115E not working

Tasel
Visitor

DVD-RW for Sony Vaio VGN-FS115E not working

Hi!

I bought my laptop in April 2005. Up until recently, Ihave not used the DVD-RW drive much, but I just started using it recently - right after the warranty ended - and in broke down after 2&1/2 days. Literally over night. It worked one night and the following morning... nada!

The drive made weird noises and cound not read either a CD or a DVD! After about 30 seconds of trying to read the CD or DVD, it just stopped!!!

I am quite mad about this. The thing is that usual slimline dvd'sdon't seem to fit in as the outside of the dvd panel is not rectangular, but slightly curved in the FS series. Is it possile to order the part from Sony (especially as I don't know which DVD-RW my laptop actually has)! And if yes, does anyone have any idea as to how much this would cost? I heard it costs about £300 to get this repaired by Sony... is this true? Is it possible to just order the part from them????

Thanks,
Tina

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tina and welcome to ClubVAIO.

Bad news I'm afraid. You have the infamous DW-D56A optical drive which is prone to failure (usually just after the warranty has run out).

Here is a bit of BACKGROUND READING

Sony do not sell replacements - only if you send the Vaio to them.

You can buy a drive that will fit which is Quite Inexpensive but the problem is getting the faceplate to match your Vaio's case. Some faceplates are interchangeable.

You could try eBay for a drive that matches your Vaio. To buy a proper replacement will be nearly as expensive as sending it to Sony!

:slight_frown:

Tasel
Visitor

That really sucks... would never buy Sony again because of this!

If so many people had the problem with this DVD-RW, why do they not offer to replace it for free? They know there must be something defective there!