Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Horst203
Visitor

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Hi everybody,

two days ago UPS brought me my "new" Sony VAIO PCV-RSM31 that I bought from Sony Style Auctions via eBay.

As far as I understand the specs this Desktop VAIO should have one DVD-RW drive and one DVD-ROM.

But under Windows XP and under Windows 2000 SP4 (yes, I tried that OS too) the DVD-RW drive is labeled in the hardware manager as DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 119R with Firmware Version 1.07 from 2002-10-16. An no software will burn anything with it. I tried Alcohol 120%, Nero 6 and even the stuff coming with the Vaio called something with Drag&Drop. The software can't find any burning device.

The other DVD drive is labeled DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 121R with Firmware Version 1.00 from 2003-06-03.

I reinstalled Win XP two times with the Recovery DVD, but no effect. It stays the same.
I searched Vaio-Link, Club Vaio, the Pioneer website, but found nothing.

Does anybody know something about this problem?
This Vaio desktop should have a DVD-RW, shouldn't it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Horst:smileygrin: :cry:

44 REPLIES 44
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

The specs at http://www.vaio-link.com/specifications/specifications.asp?l=en&m=1415 say you should have a DVD-ROM and a DVD+/-R/RW drive

Horst203
Visitor

Hi Rob,

yes, that's the way I understood them, too.
But the problem stays 😉

Greetings
Horst

robpaxton
Explorer

Did the spec given on Ebay say anything about the computer having non standard drives? If it didn't then I would telephone Vaio-Link on Monday as SonyStyle auctions normally give a warranty.

Also, does the drive fascia not have the DVD writer logo on it?

Horst203
Visitor

No, the description on ebay was like the specs.
And the drive fascia of one of the drives has the writer logo, the other fascia only the DVD logo.

But if you try for hours to get the drive to burn, you start to wonder if the logo only means the drive reads DVD-RW disks.

And believe me, I will phone on Monday to Vaio-Link!
But I was hoping that someone had an idea for me before Monday. Who knows, maybe there is someone later.

Thank you for your interest and support.

kee-lo_

I have a bad feeling that someone on ebay isn't being honest and switched the drive on you.

TygerTyger
Visitor

It's possible, although if they switched the drive fronts to have the Writer logo they certainly went to a fair bit of effort for not a lot of gain. At any rate, both 121R and 119R are DVD-ROM only, not writers so it would seem that you are missing a writable drive.

Horst203
Visitor

Well, I think that's not a possibility because I bought the Desktop on eBay from Sony Style Auctions. That's the eBay-shop from Sony Europe in Brussels. I got all the papers and the registration.

On eBay they gave the status as Conditions: Refurbished Product

This is Sony for:
"These refurbished products are the result of, but not limited to, customer product evaluations and open box returns. Upon return to our repair facility, these products are put through a full set of functional test procedures, cleaned, repaired (if needed), and refreshed with in-box materials to be classified as "refurbished." Refurbished products may contain minor cosmetic blemishes."

Strange thing is, if they made the functional tests why can't I burn a thing even after reinstallation?

Well, let's hope for vaio-link phone line.

Thanks to all
Horst

kee-lo_

Ah cool, so it IS Sony ..... hehehe they kept it quiet!

It seems like it's legit so you can ask VAIO Link about replacing the ROM for RW as described.

robpaxton
Explorer

I reckon they will repair the computer without a problem. It sounds as though the techicians who refurbished the computer just put the wrong replacement drive in. They would've used the fascia from the drive that was taken out.