Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Horst203
Visitor

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Hi everybody,

two days ago UPS brought me my "new" Sony VAIO PCV-RSM31 that I bought from Sony Style Auctions via eBay.

As far as I understand the specs this Desktop VAIO should have one DVD-RW drive and one DVD-ROM.

But under Windows XP and under Windows 2000 SP4 (yes, I tried that OS too) the DVD-RW drive is labeled in the hardware manager as DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 119R with Firmware Version 1.07 from 2002-10-16. An no software will burn anything with it. I tried Alcohol 120%, Nero 6 and even the stuff coming with the Vaio called something with Drag&Drop. The software can't find any burning device.

The other DVD drive is labeled DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 121R with Firmware Version 1.00 from 2003-06-03.

I reinstalled Win XP two times with the Recovery DVD, but no effect. It stays the same.
I searched Vaio-Link, Club Vaio, the Pioneer website, but found nothing.

Does anybody know something about this problem?
This Vaio desktop should have a DVD-RW, shouldn't it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Horst:smileygrin: :cry:

44 REPLIES 44
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah I agree, you'll probably get no fuss

Horst203
Visitor

Well, let's hope the best and await the things to come.
I hope I don't have to send the PC back to Brussels.
You never know what the support people come up with.

Best wishes
Horst

kee-lo_

If the rules which apply to usual VAIOs then you won't pay to have it fixed or delivered under the 12 month garuntee

TygerTyger
Visitor

If you live in Germany you get a 2 year guarantee free. Lucky them I say.

kee-lo_

Grrrrrr home come?

robpaxton
Explorer

I noticed that a while ago. All of the Vaios sold in Germany after Sept 2003 have two year warranties. Did German law change around then?

kee-lo_

The good thing is if you go to John Lewis you get 3

Horst203
Visitor

Hi RobPaxton,

yes, Germany changed the law. Every seller of good has to give two years of general warranty for their products.

And the first thing, they told me on the VAIO-Link phone was, that according to my serial number my Desktop would only have 1 year of warranty left. But first they must decide if I get registration and support at all, because I bought from Sony Style via eBay and from Brussels.

So, first they solve the registration stuff and then they tell me how to fix my DVD-RW-Problem. Very nice support 😞

I send them the Proof of Purchase via email on Sunday and today morning they told me that my email could take up to two days to reach the support analyst (what a nice title). Maybe they should change from Email to Pidgeon Postal Service.

But they will call back to my mobile. They promised.
Well, I will post to the thread the outcome.

An angry and tired VAIO Newbie
Horst

TygerTyger
Visitor

Good old Germany eh.

Unfortunately if you buy off eBay they are quite entitled to check if you are entitled to support. In fact many companys would just say no straight away, so fingers crossed for you.

2 days is a little slow for emails isn't :thinking: wonder where they all go. I got confused by the 'support analyst' title too, I called them and they gave a list of options in a menu or said wait if you want to talk to an "analsyt" not even a "support analyst". It sounds like an IT consultancy service for businesses, I couldn't work out just how to get support :slight_frown:

robpaxton
Explorer

Even if they don't offer support then Horst should still be entitled to the computer which was advertised. The specifications state that the machine has a DVD writer so it should be supplied with a DVD writer.