Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Horst203
Visitor

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Hi everybody,

two days ago UPS brought me my "new" Sony VAIO PCV-RSM31 that I bought from Sony Style Auctions via eBay.

As far as I understand the specs this Desktop VAIO should have one DVD-RW drive and one DVD-ROM.

But under Windows XP and under Windows 2000 SP4 (yes, I tried that OS too) the DVD-RW drive is labeled in the hardware manager as DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 119R with Firmware Version 1.07 from 2002-10-16. An no software will burn anything with it. I tried Alcohol 120%, Nero 6 and even the stuff coming with the Vaio called something with Drag&Drop. The software can't find any burning device.

The other DVD drive is labeled DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 121R with Firmware Version 1.00 from 2003-06-03.

I reinstalled Win XP two times with the Recovery DVD, but no effect. It stays the same.
I searched Vaio-Link, Club Vaio, the Pioneer website, but found nothing.

Does anybody know something about this problem?
This Vaio desktop should have a DVD-RW, shouldn't it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Horst:smileygrin: :cry:

44 REPLIES 44
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The thing is TT it's an official auction, so Horst should get the basic 1 year deal from Sony, as it was done in Belgium, not Germany.

Rob's spot on, the description should match the machine, and as they're a company he should have somewhere to fall back on. I guess you could be evil and report Sony to ebay :devil: 3 hits and they're out!

Horst203
Visitor

Here's the daily update 😉

Well Kee-Lo, that's exactly what I did yesterday: I filled a complaint at eBay becauce I was so f***ed up about the unsupportive support and wanted to put some pressure on them.

I haven't got a reaction from Sony Style and the promised feedback from Vaio Link didn't come either. But at my phone call I got this time a very supportive "support analyst". I don't know, maybe they got the info from Sony Style or they have a counter and are helpful after your 5th call.

They still didn't get my mail from Sunday. He told me, they got a mail back lag problem and asked for the mail details to specificly search my mail on the server. He promised to register me the latest tomorrow. He asked for details from the DVD-RW problem and promised to contact a technician and me. Well, at least he asked me for details. Maybe there is some motion in the affair.

Awaiting tomorrow
Horst

kee-lo_

Ah well, hopefully they'll do as they say.

Knowing eBay they probably won't do much.
Wonder how many negitive remakrs they have?

robpaxton
Explorer

All of the SonyStyle Auction lots that I've seen on Ebay (Whether for refurbished or new products) say that the items come with warranty. Horst, the details of your auction should still be on the site so you can check the terms & conditions.

kee-lo_

It's there for 90days

Horst203
Visitor

Daily Update 12-01-2005

A New Hope:

1. Today they called me back.
2. They registered finally my Vaio Desktop
3. Warranty until Jan 6th, 2006 !!!
4. They wanted some screenshots from Win Device Manager from me, which sure I sent them with some extra screenshots of the registry.

Finally something is happening. Still no burning, but reason for hope.

Cheerfully
Horst

robpaxton
Explorer

Excellent news Horst, it sounds like you're finally getting someway towards owning a DVD writer. Thanks for letting us know.

I hope you get it sorted out quickly.

kee-lo_

That's cool Horst!

TygerTyger
Visitor

Sounds like they are getting themselves together, nice to hear of some good service efffort.

Horst203
Visitor

Daily Update 2005-01-13

Today was back to "Sony Normal Modus":

1. No feedback call or email at all.
2. When I called they told me they were still waiting for my screenshots.
3. I told them that I send them yesterday.
4. He told me that yesterday he got my email with the Proof of Purchase (from Sunday !)
5. I asked them what to do next.
6. They said I should send the email with the screenshots again.

4 days and still counting
Horst