Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Horst203
Visitor

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Hi everybody,

two days ago UPS brought me my "new" Sony VAIO PCV-RSM31 that I bought from Sony Style Auctions via eBay.

As far as I understand the specs this Desktop VAIO should have one DVD-RW drive and one DVD-ROM.

But under Windows XP and under Windows 2000 SP4 (yes, I tried that OS too) the DVD-RW drive is labeled in the hardware manager as DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 119R with Firmware Version 1.07 from 2002-10-16. An no software will burn anything with it. I tried Alcohol 120%, Nero 6 and even the stuff coming with the Vaio called something with Drag&Drop. The software can't find any burning device.

The other DVD drive is labeled DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 121R with Firmware Version 1.00 from 2003-06-03.

I reinstalled Win XP two times with the Recovery DVD, but no effect. It stays the same.
I searched Vaio-Link, Club Vaio, the Pioneer website, but found nothing.

Does anybody know something about this problem?
This Vaio desktop should have a DVD-RW, shouldn't it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Horst:smileygrin: :cry:

44 REPLIES 44
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Their mail services are so slow.
Probably due to attachments.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yeah, it sounds like you will have to wait a few days for them to get your emails. Too, too poor.

robpaxton
Explorer

Ah . . . the old 'I haven't received your mail' gambit. I have used this a few times myself :wink: Be persistant, send a few copies, and you will get the job done eventually.

Horst203
Visitor

=== THE DAILY UPDATE === Issue Friday, January 14th, 2005

At least today THEY called back. But, you guess it, the mail still hadn't reached them. Hmmh? Should I send it a third time? Oh no, if you have sent it two times it sure will eventually reach us. RobPaxton, sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Well, a tiny little bit of good news, too. The support analyst finally concluded that the Pioneer DVD-119R is definetly not a DVD-Writer. Wow, what an insight! :pray:
He said, THEY need the screenshots for blablabla :beat_up: . I think THEY can't believe that there really are two DVD-ROM in my desktop and no burner.
And he admitted that if there wasn't a burner inside something must have somewhere gone wrong. Hey, well done Mr. Watson! :party:
THEY will wait for the screenshot , evaluate the situation and whatever happens give me a feedback call on Monday.

So, what happend today?
"THEY called back. "
"But you still have the problem."
"But at least THEY called back. Who cares for solutions? We want communication. " :smileyfrustrated:

Awaiting the next phone call
Horst

To all reader: HAVE A WONDERFUL AND HAPPY WEEKEND :cool:

kee-lo_

Same to you, good luck with the case

yakumo
Visitor

It's possible, although if they switched the drive fronts to have the Writer logo they certainly went to a fair bit of effort for not a lot of gain. At any rate, both 121R and 119R are DVD-ROM only, not writers so it would seem that you are missing a writable drive.

hmm

Horst203
Visitor

Daily Update - Week 2 started

Business as Sony usual: No feedback call like promised !

When I called I got the good news: My screenshot mail finally arrived the "support analysts". Well, it took only 5 days (from Jan 12th to 17th). But it reached the "support analyst" today at 16:30 local time, so they couldn't pass it to the "technicians". But tomorrow, yes tomorrow, they will pass it along and call me back.

I don't believe them anymore. I can't anymore. The never-ending story isn't a book, or a movie - it's a case id at vaio-link.com. I'm feeling like caught in a Kafka novel, or like waiting for Godot.

If only I had a link or an email address to escalate the case. But I guess the maiI back lag there is half a year.

I hope I get my DVD writer before the warranty expires next year.
Maybe I should change to weekly updates.

Regards
Horst :cry:

kee-lo_

That's outrageous! 5 days for an attachment is stupid
Would have been faster to post it via snail mail!

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Sony ought to be ashamed of that... Royal Mail would take about 2 days at the outside... I hope they give you the DVD writer you should have Horst.

kee-lo_

Lets not talk about Royal Mail, they suck too.