Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Horst203
Visitor

DVD-RW is not detected as writable drive

Hi everybody,

two days ago UPS brought me my "new" Sony VAIO PCV-RSM31 that I bought from Sony Style Auctions via eBay.

As far as I understand the specs this Desktop VAIO should have one DVD-RW drive and one DVD-ROM.

But under Windows XP and under Windows 2000 SP4 (yes, I tried that OS too) the DVD-RW drive is labeled in the hardware manager as DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 119R with Firmware Version 1.07 from 2002-10-16. An no software will burn anything with it. I tried Alcohol 120%, Nero 6 and even the stuff coming with the Vaio called something with Drag&Drop. The software can't find any burning device.

The other DVD drive is labeled DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD - 121R with Firmware Version 1.00 from 2003-06-03.

I reinstalled Win XP two times with the Recovery DVD, but no effect. It stays the same.
I searched Vaio-Link, Club Vaio, the Pioneer website, but found nothing.

Does anybody know something about this problem?
This Vaio desktop should have a DVD-RW, shouldn't it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Horst:smileygrin: :cry:

44 REPLIES 44
Horst203
Visitor

Hi there, good news:

It seems I got today the decisive call from Vaio-Link.
They asked me if they could send me a DVD-RW-Drive by DHL in exchange for one of the DVD-ROMs.

I happily accepted this offer because this way I don't have to send in the PC and wait again...

So, I hope the matter will come to an end.
I'll report the outcome.

Cheers, Horst

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Fantastic - RESULT!!!

Shame you had to wait so long to get this far...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's really good news!

Horst203
Visitor

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah !!! :laughing:

I still can't believe it, but today the DVD-RW-Drive arrived.
Because of my recent expierences with Vaio-Link I had not extracted yet the spare DVD-ROM from my Vaio, so the poor guy from DHL delivering the drive had to wait for me.

The new drive is a Pioneer DVR-106 DVA. And it works, I've already burned two CDs.

So, this case is almost closed. One question still remains for me: Who pays the bill for all the phone calls? Well, I will try to get a reaction from Sony Style Auctions. Maybe in vain, but I'll give it a try.

In the meantime I want to thank you all for your comments and your support. And for enduring my nagging in this thread. :smileytalk_to_the_hand:

Special thanks go to Kee-Lo :clap: for his constant interest in this case.

Good luck to you all
Horst

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No problem, glad it's all sorted.
I complained to Tesco Mobile about the number of calls I had to make and they finally gave me credit.