Join now - be part of our community!

Electrical Safety Tests

ARCrawford
Visitor

Electrical Safety Tests

Hello,

I've got a privately owned Sony VAIO FS-series Laptop, which I also use in a work environment. Due to the fact that it is turned on within the work building, the IT department wants to run electrical safety tests on it.

I assured them that my Laptop computer was bought new - direct from Sony - and would not pose an electrical hazard, but nevertheless, they insist that it needs testing. Does anyone know whether this will invalidate my warranty? If so, I'll refuse them permission to test it.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer on this issue - and quickly, they're trying to get their hands on my lovely laptop today!

Cheers,
Andrew.

7 REPLIES 7
ARCrawford
Visitor

The problem I'm having is that this information isn't completely clear in the warranty information. I gather an electrical safety test runs a mild current through the device they are testing and check for leakage. The warrenty information states that damaged caused by "connection to improper voltage supply" is not covered in my warranty, so therefore I assume it invalidates it.

Below is a copy of the Guarantee I found online on Sony's websites. If anyone can help me interpret this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

GUARANTEE

We thank you for having bought this computer hardware product and hope you will be happy with it. In the unlikely event that the product needs guarantee service, please contact VAIO-Link (for details refer to your Customer Guide). In order to avoid unnecessary inconvenience on your part, we suggest reading the instruction manual and the Customer Guide carefully before contacting.

Your Guarantee

By this Guarantee, Sony warrants this computer hardware product (the "Product") to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 (one) year from the date of its original purchase. If during this period of guarantee the Product proves defective due to improper materials or workmanship, Sony will, without charge for labour or parts, at its sole discretion, repair or replace the Product or its defective parts upon the terms and conditions set out below. This Guarantee does not affect your statutory rights under any applicable law in force, or your contractual rights arising from a sales and purchase contract for the Product. You may assert your rights at your sole discretion.

Conditions

This Guarantee will be granted only when the original invoice or sales receipt (indicating the date of purchase, product and seller’s name) is presented together with the defective Product. Sony reserves the right to refuse the free-of-charge guarantee services if the date of purchase of the Product cannot be proven. This Guarantee will not apply if the manufacturer’s serial number has been altered, deleted, removed or made illegible.

This Guarantee covers only the computer hardware components packaged with the Product. This Guarantee does not cover any software delivered with the Product. With respect to software please
refer to the software manufactures guarantee, if any, provided with the Product.

This Guarantee covers none of the following: (a) periodic maintenance and repair or replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear; (b) any consumable supplied with the Product, such as batteries; (c) physical damage to liquid crystal displays; (d) cosmetic damages (e) damage to or loss of any software programs, data, or removable storage media; (f) any damage resulting from adaptations, changes or adjustments, which may have been made to the Product, without the prior written consent of Sony.

Further, this Guarantee does not cover damage due to the following: (a) misuse, including but not limited to failure to use the Product for its intended purpose in accordance with Sony's instructions on the proper use and maintenance; (b) installation or use of the Product in a manner inconsistent with the technical or safety standards in the countries of the European Economic Area and Switzerland; (c) connection to improper voltage supply; (d) use of the Product in conjunction with third party accessories, products or ancillary or peripheral equipment; (e) attempted repair by any party other than authorised by Sony; and (f) accidents, lightning, water, fire or any other such cause beyond the reasonable control of Sony.

With respect to all services provided hereunder, please ensure that you back up the contents of your hard drive, including any data you have stored or software you have installed on the hard drive. Sony is not responsible for any damage to or loss of any programs, data, or other information stored on any media or any part of any Product serviced hereunder. Sony is not liable for the consequence of business loss in case of system failure.

Be sure to remove all features, parts, options, alterations, and attachments not covered by this Guarantee prior to returning the Product to Sony. Sony is not liable for any loss or damage to these items.

If during the repair of the Product the contents of the hard drive are altered, deleted, or in any way modified, Sony is not liable whatsoever. The Product will be returned to you configured as originally purchased, subject to availability of software.

Repair parts and replacement Products will be provided on an exchange basis and will be either new, equivalent to new or re-conditioned. All replaced parts and Products become the property of Sony. The period of guarantee for any Product or part repaired or replaced hereunder shall be the balance of the original guarantee period of the Product, or 6 (six) months from such repair or replacement, whichever is longer.

This Guarantee is valid in any country of the European Economic Area and Switzerland.

ARCrawford
Visitor

Nevermind, panic over.

Turns out the guy running around testing all the equipment used to work for Sony. He says the fact that my VAIO is still under guarantee is good enough for him, and while that's still in effect, I'm exempt from the test.

Thanks to everyone who read this far!

Cheers,
Andrew.

ARCrawford
Visitor

Oh, and in case anyone else has any similar issues...

This test probably WOULD have invalidated the warranty, based upon the clause:

"Furthermore, this Guarantee does not cover damage due to the following:... (c) connection to Improper voltage supply; (d) use of the Product in conjunction with third party accessories, products or ancillary or peripheral equiment;..."

The risk of damage is negligable, but still present. Therefore, I opted out of the tests citing that it would invalidate my warranty/guarantee.

Cheers,
Andrew.

carthorian
Visitor

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this one. Although I didn't have the answer I was following this thread (and searching the disclaimers like crazy).

That it voids the warranty was to be expected. Doesn't the company offer any insurance if they want to test a privat notebook?

ARCrawford
Visitor

No, unfortunately they don't.

I work at a University as a Research Scientist and am currently studing for a Ph.D. Due to my registration to gain a qualification, I'm not considered to have "full" staff status, and therefore was not supplied with a staff laptop computer.

I could have applied for a concession to have £400.00 put towards purchasing my own laptop, but would need to spend at least £800.00 to get a decent one - and the University would expect to retain it when I left anyway. I didn't much fancy paying £400.00 for the privilege of merely using a computer for 3 years...

So in the end rather than wasting money on a lesser machine, I decided to invest £1000.00 of my own money to get a VAIO FS series, which I'll keep when I move on to greener pastures as Dr. Crawford in 2 years' time.

Thanks for the effort into the disclaimers, Carthorian! I'll try to return the favour at some point. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
ARCrawford.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks for the interesting thread

You'd think an eletricial test wouldn't invalidate your warranty.... strange

ARCrawford
Visitor

No problem Kee-Lo.

I think the invalidation would have occured under the clause about using improper voltage supplies, as the electrical test consisted of running a mild electrical current into the computer and then monitoring it for leaks. If you overdid the power setting for the current, you could potentially damage it. In the end I decided to be stubborn and refuse to risk it.

Cheers,
ARCrawford.