Join now - be part of our community!

Erratic DVD/CD ROM

Lonslo
Visitor

Erratic DVD/CD ROM

For my own sanity I am in need of help.

I inserted a blank DVD–RW (as I have done many times before) in to my F drive (DVD/CD-ROM). The make is Matshita UJ-840.
An error message popped up: - F:\ is not accessible – Incorrect function.

After some searching I found F Drive -> Properties -> Recording -> enable CD recording was unticked. So I ticked it and thought my problem was solved until I attempted to burn a DVD using Click to DVD. (as I have done many times before)

Importing the AVI file and converting to Mpeg went without a hitch. On creating the DVD however I found that after converting the data and at the point where the software begins authoring and writing to disk the “enable CD recording” tick box automatically unticks itself. The software closes and the disk ejects.

I can also confirm that the following happens: -
My Computer -> Manage -> Services and applications -> Services -> IMAPI CD Burning Service -> Properties -> / Startup type is Automatic / Service status is Started. However at the point where the software begins authoring and writing to disk the service status reverts to stopped.

I then tried to burn a DVD using Cyberlink Power Producer to see if I could burn a disk using different software. However, same result – “enable CD recording” tick box automatically unticks itself and the disk will not write.

I then suspected it may be the device driver that was the problem. I subsequently uninstalled the driver, closed down and restarted the system and let windows reinstall the driver automatically since I don’t have the original / recovery disks (Not supplied at the time of purchase). According to the properties box the device driver is working properly.

I then ran a registry fix programme that indicated that there might be problem with the following:
RegKey : HKLM \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ IMAPI \ StashInfo
Value Name : StashNewPath
Value : c\cd burning stash file.bin
The file (c\cd burning stash file.bin) does not exist at the specifed location.

I believe this is a self writing file located in the root folder.
Could this be the problem?

I subsequently ran a system restore to see if I could get around this but all attempts to restore earlier settings have been unsuccessful.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Click to DVD as a further measure of discounting where the problem area might be.

I think the lens is clean and the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely since the driver is able to read disks that have already been written to.

I did get a Windows automatic update and a Norton update the day before all this started. Could this be the problem?

One last anomaly which may have some bearing since this all seems to have happened at the same time.

I have set the autoplay option for all content types to prompt me every time a disk is inserted. However when I insert a blank RW disk, Windows media player (v11) always opens up as default on the burn page. This was never the case before. Is there possibly a connection between this issue and the main problem with the “enable CD recording” tick box automatically unticking itself and status automatically reverting to stopped?

I appreciate that there is a lot of info provided here but I have done my best to outline all the factors that may or may not be an indicator of where the problems might be.

I hope some good soul will read this and offer any insights or solutions.

Rgds
N

0 REPLIES 0