Join now - be part of our community!

external audio source

tom1966
Visitor

external audio source

hi,

I own a sony vaio VGN A417S which comes with a docking station. I would like to be able to connect an external audio source such as a cd or mp3 player to my vaio so that i can play them through the sony speakers connected to the docking station. As far as i am aware I have the correct leads and after consulting the documentation have everything connected in the correct fashion. Unfortunately just playing the music on either an mp3 or cd player does not seem to play through the speakers - is there any specific software I need to open up on the laptop to do this? I'm wondering if I need to somehow switch from the audio source being the laptop to the audio in jacks on the back of the docking station.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Make sure you un-mute the line-in.
Double click the volume icon in the system tray

tom1966
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I've done what you said - unfortunately the sound still won't come out of the independent speakers.

Interestingly if I go into vaio control centre, station/port replicator settings, there is an option "switch the destination speakers to the built in speakers" which, when selected, DOES play the line in through the built in speakers. However when the default "switch to the destination speakers automatically" is selected, no sound comes out at all. I'm slightly confused!

Thanks

Tom

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's very strange, but maybe it's destined for headphones