Join now - be part of our community!

External TV feed PCG-C1MHP

External TV feed PCG-C1MHP

I am trying to connect an external tv monitor to view DVDs on my Vaio. I have connected to the yellow AV connector and then gone to the display properties/settings tab to enable it. The problem I have is that although my principal display adapter is shown correctly as the Mobility Radion ATi and it shows the two boxes for primary and secondary display, when I go to the secondary display and try and extend windows onto this display it will not enable it. If I go to the advanced/displays option, then it correctly shows the three display options (external monitor, LCD and TV but the TV option is marked 'not connected'. Under scheme it says 'default single option' but the drop down gives me no other choices. What am I doing wrong? I have tried toggling the Fn/F8 combination but this has no effect.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think your model is one of those that needs a bit of Black Magic to connect an external display!!

I don't know the answer but have you tried the following: -

1. Turn off your Vaio and remove the power before connecting the external device. Turn on the connected external device before booting up the connected Vaio.
2. You are using the correct cable and the 'AV OUT' socket (second from the end)? 3.5mm Jack Plug to 3 X RCA plugs. This is connected to your TV which is turned on and the AV channel selected before starting your Vaio? Your Vaio needs to detect the display.
3. Don't put anything in the CD/DVD drive until you have the TV working. Having a DVD in the drive can stop the FN+F8 keys working so you won't be able to toggle to TV.
4. Have you reduced the output resolution to 640 X 480 - if not the image will overflow the screen.
5. Have you checked for any software updates for your model: -
PCG-C1MHP Downloads

I believe all external displays are treated as a second screen.

Sorry I can't be more specific - you may be lucky and find another C1 user here!!!!

:thinking:

Just to update on where I'm at. I can now get the Vaio to recognise the tv monitor and I can enable it on screen properties/advanced/display. It then displays part of my desktop wallpaper. If I run a DVD with either WinDVD or RealPlayer the tv screen shows a clone of a section of my laptop LCD but with the video viewer window blank. Could this be a frame rate problem as the DVD is 50Hx PAL? What I really want on my external tv output is the overlay feed. How do I achieve this? I did try extending my desktop onto the tv but that was a disaster as I lost my pointer on the LCD screen had a right game to get out of it all! If I maximise the video player I still get no image on the external tv.

Many thanks for your reply. I haven't tried reducing the resolution yet but there seems little point until I can actually get an image. You were right it is iffy detecting the tv connection - it needs to be the right impedance otherwise it thinks there is nothing there! I suspect the problem is down to the selection of an 'overlay channel' mode. Maybe the WinDVD and RealPlayer software packages do not support this? I'm not sure what, if any, DVD player software came with the Vaio originally. It is quite an old machine and has had several upgrades since then.