Join now - be part of our community!

Failing cards, or XP update?

bernardwheeler
Visitor

Failing cards, or XP update?

PCV-RZ424, XP Home with WindowsUpdate set to automatic.

Just recently, I noticed that GigaPocket stopped working - "Failed to open Sony TV Tuner device".

Had a look in the XP Device Manager and both the "NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" and "Sony MPEG RealTime encoder board" have warning marks next to them - each with a (not at all helpful) device status of "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
I've tried power cycle and re-seating the tuner board, but ot no avail.

Sure enough, the PCMCIA slot doesn't recognize things either (I now find).

Anyone know if a recent XP update has knackered things, or am I looking at a warranty call for blown hardware somewhere?

TIA

7 REPLIES 7
adamb12
Visitor

I have the same vaio as you and i have installed all of the windows updates and mine is working fine. have you tried reinstaling windows or ring sony. hope this helped:smileyhappy:

bernardwheeler
Visitor

Just took out the TV Tuner card and its internal cables at tha board end, reattched and re-inserted -- but in the next PCI slot (so it's next to the video card now) and everything's working again - including the PCMCIA slot.

It's odd that a problem with one PCI card can have a knock-on to quite a bit of other stuff (IEEE 1394 and PCMCIA).

Glad it's working now though.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks for the info.

bernardwheeler
Visitor

Interestingly, the move of the card to the new slot reverted to the original XP drivers for the TV Tuner card. This had issues with locking the system up - especially after a suspend (e.g. through inactivity). I had these issues before and they were fixed by updating the drivers to the latest versions from Sony.

Luckily I still had the download from the vaio-link site (that site's been having some weird problems recently), so I just updated the drivers - and the TV Tuner card still works.

I really suspect that a recent WindowsUpdate has munged something...

Hope this helps someone else :wink:

bernardwheeler
Visitor

Just applied the latest DirectX update and my system's trashed again:
- hangs when recoverying from inactivity suspend
- won't hibernate because the PCMCIA/ATAPI device is stopping it from doing so
- remove the power cord (at the risk of trashing the disk) because there's no other way of rebooting (keyboard totally unresponsive)
- on restart the MPEG encoder and IEEE 1394 devices are not started (in DeviceManager)
- GigaPocket can't find the TV Tuner and the PCMCIA slot is unresponsive

But I know from last time that the cards are actually OK - unless the motherboard is gradually degrading. or there's something up with the PCI control system?

Anyone had anything similar?

bernardwheeler
Visitor

Further update - just removed the link cable between the TV Tuner PCI card and the A/V sockets on the front of the PC - and the tuner card now works.

Doesn't resolve the PCMCIA slot not working, but now at least I suspect a hardware issue at the front of the box.

Guess it's time to call Sony...

Dwestie
Visitor

bernard,

Two things immediately came to mind;

1.a possible driver/hardware conflict with any other devices installed

2.Windows update ballsing everything up when it plays about with directx. as it did with mine not so long ago. a re-install of windows (arduos as it is) solved it but i don't have a clue what the problem was...