Join now - be part of our community!

Fan starts and stops very frequently with no reason

arthur6742
Visitor

Fan starts and stops very frequently with no reason

PCG-FX604, AMD Duron 1100 MHz, Windows XP SP2

The fan starts and stops very frequently, sometimes about 30-40 times a minute. There seems to be a problem with the fan-control. It seems to start with no need, because it stops less than a second later, starts again, and so on.

AMD PowerNow! works fine. The CPU-Speed is down to 500MHz when no program is running. The energy-option is set to 'minimum energy use' or however this option is called in English.

The problem does not seem to be infected by software-installations, because it appeared right after I bought the notebook when only the preinstalled software was installed and was not solved by windows xp service pack 1 or 2. There is no bios update available.

Is there anybody who has the same problem and fixed it?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Often this is due to the cooling fans being clogged up. Try cleaning them with a vacuum or air duster. It can be surprising how much dust etc gets into the fans.

arthur6742
Visitor

Thanx for your request, but the problem exits, since the notebook was brandnew. I don't think sony sold me a notebook with a dirty fan.

robpaxton
Explorer

Sorry, I assumed the fault was a new one.

kee-lo_

If it's under warranty have Sony look at it.

arthur6742
Visitor

Well, that's what I should have done 2 1/2 years ago. It would be good to know if there is anybody with a similar problem.

kee-lo_

The best thing is to see if anyone in the Yellow Pages can fix it for a decent price.

Get a few quotes and play one against the other "oh right, well this store said they can do it for £130", works.

armanif
Visitor

My FX604 has the same behaviour. It annoys me but I can't say it's a technical issue... I simply don't know even if it sounds really strange. Moreover I cannot see divx moves as the laptop crashes in 30 secs.
Cheers