Join now - be part of our community!

OEM XP Pro - Disk!

Phil772
Visitor

OEM XP Pro - Disk!

Hi,
I know its depressingly common to not receive the OS on a CD nowadays. Is it possible to buy/upgrade so I have a genuine XP Pro CD from Sony/Microsoft.

I believe theres 5GB hidden partitrion used to restore the system to factory settings (right?), but I'm bound to remove that accidentally at some point :tongue:

Thanks
Phil :cool:

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Its bad Sony no longer supply Windows XP and the applications on a DVD which is what mine was supplied with (May 2004).

Burn the recovery partition onto a DVD disk as a backup to prevent accidental damage.

As for Microsoft Windows XP Professional, burn the C:\DRIVERS directory onto a CD-R or CD-RW disk and use this to install the drivers during the Microsoft Windows XP Professional setup routine. You can either use the Full version (more expensive) or the Upgrade version (cheaper).

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

They haven't done for AGES James (probably Win98 was the last one Sony was distributing)

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Well the fact that Sony no longer distribute Disks at all is REALLY BAD. Damage to the partition is all-too-easy but a lot of other manufacturers (i.e. Cybercom or Medion) are doing the same...

It would be nice to see Sony redistribute them again...

kee-lo_

Specially the price they chrage!

William
Visitor

My not so old TR5 and RZ502 both came with recovery discs but admittedly not an XP disc.

So I am not sure what criteria dictates whether you do or don't get CD's.

Anyone can buy a genuine copy of XP Pro but obviously at a price.

kee-lo_

Not cheap either