Join now - be part of our community!

Faulty part out of warranty

profile.country.en_GB.title
juswundering
Visitor

Faulty part out of warranty

i bought a top line sony vaio VGN FW11ZU and have only recently had a problem with it turning on took it to a sony approved repairer and was told that the motherboard was faulty and that it would cost £444 to replace as the part was over £35o from sony i cannnot afford this and am unwillig to pay this for a laptop that i hoped would last me throgh university. i am disappointed in sony for there lack of care for a FAULTY part in one of there products simply because it is out of warranty
thanks for any feedback

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry to hear about your Vaio.

Sadly components do fail - I don't think the repairer is saying it was faulty when you bought it, it has become faulty due to the failure of some component or circuitry after more than a year of working OK and there can be many reasons for that failure.

The high cost is a result of our 'throw-away' society when repairers just replace the motherboard, rather than identify and fix the component (which requires considerable expertise).

It may be worth getting a second opinion from an independent repairer but if the motherboard needs replacement, then that is about the normal cost of the repair.

:thinking: