Join now - be part of our community!

FE21M Funny Shutdown!

mazanna
Visitor

FE21M Funny Shutdown!

Hi everybody!
Just a strange thing is happening with my VGN-FE21M laptop.
I've just installed XP Pro on this laptop (originally was Media Center) and after having all the drivers and utilities installed, I started to notice some problems during the shutdown.
I know that there are known issues referred to the integrated camera but I have already follow the instructions of other posts to disable USB power management to allow system to restart and shutdown properly.
The restart seems to be fixed, the problem still persits with shutdown.
If I shut down the laptop, it seems to work fine, monitor switches off, disk aswell, then suddenly, after couple of secs, it restarts by itself!!
So, I need to force it to shutdown, pressing the button!

Basically it doesn't shutdown, it just restarts!

Can anybody help?

Tnx!

5 REPLIES 5
mazanna
Visitor

It's me again!
I have been trying several things to get this problem fixed but no way!

I just noticed that if I switch off the laptop using just the battery, it works!!! It switches off without any problem! No restart!

If I try to switch it off plugged to the power, it behaves as I said on the first post!

I sincerly don't know what it could be..... :slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Usually these sort of problems are fixed with BIOS updates, so have a look on VAIO-Link under your model's downloads.

mazanna
Visitor

Unfortunately BIOS version is the latest one (R0130J3) as the donwnload page reports.

What's next?

Tnx.

thephongh
Visitor

Hi,

There's a Beta update for the FE21 series BIOS:

http://support.vaio.sony.fr/downloads/beta/beta.asp?site=voe_fr_FR_cons&m=2277

This link is for supports in French, you can try to find the right version for your country, there must be.

Best regards

mazanna
Visitor

I downloaded the BIOS update beta version (now it's R01323J3) and installed it.

Nothing changes! I'm starting to think it's a motherboard problem.