Join now - be part of our community!

FE31M Humming/cracking/scratchy sound with SigmaTel High Def

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

FE31M Humming/cracking/scratchy sound with SigmaTel High Def

Now I have been having this problem since I installed Windows Vista. It's very annoying and keep bugging me every time. I listen to a lot of music and also edit music and sound. This humming/cracking/scratchy sound see attachment for download sound(whatever you wanna call it) is VERY bad. Nobody seems to be able to help me with this one. I also can't get new drivers since SigmaTel are a bunch of idiots for not putting new drivers or updates on their website.

I have a FE31M laptop with SigmaTel High Definition AUDIO CODEC
Driver date: 17-11-2006
Driver version: 6.10.0.5286

What did I notice :slight_frown: :
- Always on the left side of my 2 speaker the right side does NEVER make this sound (see attachment)
- Sounds like a damaged your speaker
- When I restart laptop the annoying sound is gone
- It randomly happens. Most of the time when I shut down computer and start it all over again. If my laptop starts without this problem I will not hear it again unless I hibernate, restart or shut down and start again.

DO NOT :smileygrin: :
- Suggest I broke my speakers or headphones. Tried 8 headphones and all of them had that annoying sound. And also all of them didn't have the sound when I restarted the laptop.
- Suggest to download the driver and install it again (did that 3 times) also uninstalling and installing you name it I did it.
- Suggest to reinstall Vista (did that a week ago and guess what the problem is still there)
- Suggest to install the drivers from SONY. They DON'T solve the problem. Unless your able to find a more up to date driver for me. (I'm thinking about using driver of another Sony Vaio Laptop Model didn't try that yet).

I would like to call Sony or leave a message at SigmaTel, but before I start doing that I wanted to know if somebody here can fix the problem or HAS the same problem. Just like the past thread "Clicking hard disk sound FE11S sequel" I made in the past I hope to get together to a solution.

All thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Carelino,

I thought I had exactly the same problem as you until I realised I was listening to Amy Winehouse!!

Do you have iTunes7/Quicktime installed?

:thinking:

Carelino
Visitor

I got only quicktime installed. It would be very strange if an application is the cause of this problem. I assume quicktime is always loaded when I start my laptop, and why would the sound stop if restart my laptop????

Carelino
Visitor

Well....whats up with the Quicktime thingie?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The Apple site has several instances of Quicktime causing poor quality playback with Vista.

Have you tried stopping it running at startup to see if this makes any difference?

As you say, it may be unlikely - but worth a try!

:thinking:

Carelino
Visitor

Seems not to be the problem. Disabled it last week already forgot about that. Maybe the codecs quicktime installs???

drockoning
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem with my Vaio (also a FE31M).

Have you found the problem yet?

Carelino
Visitor

I removed the apple software but it still remains...sigh...sigmatel and sony should give users a new driver or something bc this is getting annoying restarting my laptop every freeking time when I hibernated.

Carelino
Visitor

This one I want

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNSZ480N&upd_id=2556&os_id=29

But wont install bc of compatability.....

SONNNNNYYYYY!!!!! WHAT ABOUT US!!! HOW CAN DRIVER OF 2006 WORK PROPERLY FOR VISTA IF VISTA WASN'T EVEN READY HOW ABOUT GIVING US AN UPDATE ALSO OR DO I GET THE BIG MIDDLE FINGER AGAIN AND US COMES FIRST THING>>>>>>>

Carelino
Visitor

Sony should look at DELL they have drivers from 05-2007 but we get stuck on 2006 drivers....

Searched my ass off found these not much of an upgrad but hey its a tiny bit higher
22-11-2006

BUT ofcourse not working.... :laughing:

Ok people I can't imagine that there are only 2 people with the exact same problem.....share your experiance....be part of the problem and work towards a solution.