Join now - be part of our community!

firewall

zina
Visitor

firewall

every time i turn on my laptop my firewall is down and i have to turn it back on.
ap untill a month ago it was on all the time i only turned it of manualy when i wanted to....
how do i make it be permantly on like before without having to do it manualy?

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Zena,

If your subscription has expired that may very well explain the problem, but you have another problem now as you will no longer be able to update!
I suggest that you download Sygate (free), uninstall Norton and then install this instead.
Don¿t rely on the Windows XP firewall as it is very basic!!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Lizzie
Visitor

One workaround, if it is not visible in the tray, is to log off and then log on again ¿ not very convenient but it usually works.

well darn it but it did work. :smileygrin: thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No problem Lizzie - just one more strange quirk of XP:smileyrolling_eyes:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
zina
Visitor

thanks

...by the way,if i uninstall norton do i need to uninstall symantec software?....its sort of the same isnt it??????????????:smileyconfused: :thinking: :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If your subscription has expired for all Norton (Symantec) products, then yes uninstall all. You may find, however, that to completely remove them from your system it may be necessary to download SymNRT from Symantec. Have a look here.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
zina
Visitor

well norton is still in my tray flashing....reminding me that its expired,also it scans properly(seems like it).

already have avg but one more free antivirus is always welcome:smileygrin:

tryied to do what seb said but when i double click on startup it only opened a window with a vaio launcher shortcut:smileyconfused:

GBS
Visitor

Rich - thanks for the link. It has finally removed the last few critters left over from my previous attempts to remove Norton. I am so impressed and this tool may be so useful I think it needs to be in my signature.:smileylaugh:

Zina - have a look at AVG free. The main advantage it has over Avast is fast automatic updates every day. I do nothing and my machine stays right up to date.

Try: Start>Start up (right click then open) then once startup is open go right click again, then follow Sebs info.

zina
Visitor

thanks ....already have AVG

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

GBS - Pleased to hear that the link helped:smileyhappy:
Btw any chance of you embedding that link in some text - it is playing havoc with my display:smileywink:

Zina - Is your problem now sorted?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah see the "watched threads" thread for my recomendations