Join now - be part of our community!

FN Function not working

profile.country.en_GB.title
CarlMichaelJwtt
Visitor

FN Function not working

Can any vaio expert help me? my fn function has stopped working I have tried several restores but this has not resolved the issue.

Many thanks Carl

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Carl,

It is the Sony Utility Programs that control the Fn functions.

Can you remind us which Vaio model you are talking about and someone may be able to provide a link to download and install these.

:thinking:

CarlMichaelJwtt
Visitor

Hi Blencogo nice to hear from you My Sony Model is PCG 7DM hope yo can help, Ials have another problem this is my grandaughter lap top I have the dreded blue screen on mine.

On this model I can not copy to cd the operating system is XP 2003.

Many thanks Carl

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Carl,

PCG 7DM you have quoted is the chassis number which makes it difficult to find information as this is NOT the actual model number..

The correct model number can be found just below the VAIO's display, see image below..

Once you've loacted the model number let us know.

Also I may be confused here but please supply the actual Vaio model that has the FN key problem..

CarlMichaelJwtt
Visitor

IS THIS TH No VGN 315M, IT IS THE F3 & F4 SOUND CONTROL THAT DO WORK WHEN Fn KEY DEPRESSED THE SAME F5 F6, HOPE THIS HELPS? CARL

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

HiCarl - good to hear from you.

Try installing:

1.  Sony Utilities

2.  Vaio Event Service

from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FS315M

If that doesn't fix it or they will not install properly then come back and we will need to download the original utilities package.

:wink:

CarlMichaelJwtt
Visitor

Hi Glencogo,

thyank yiu for replying I have tried installing the utility on the link provide ,I am not sure i did this correctly but hawever did not worked.

I have sinc done a complete recovery wat a hassle! needless to say this hasnt work any help would be appreciated I also have issues with writing to disc nor working (XP2003) also time.nist  not automatticly updating.

Sorry to pester you.

Carl

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Carl,

If you look on the C:\ drive is there a folder C:\Utils or C:\Utilities present?  If so what files does it have inside it?

If not you will have to download the Original Utilities Package from here:  -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FS315M

Come back when you have this file on the computer and we will take the next step.

:thinking:

CarlMichaelJwtt
Visitor

Ihave checked in the c drive but can not see the files you mention, I also looked in the link you gave but can nt identify what i should be looking for,It may be me i am not very technical or confident sorry i am no help.

Thank you for your patience much appreciate your help,

Carl