Join now - be part of our community!

For those wanting a video firmware update..

profile.country.en_GB.title
@4967457401015621
Visitor

For those wanting a video firmware update..

.. i wouldn't get your hopes up. anyone else seen this ? ebay link i'm guessing it's an import but even so, i doubt sony will be trying to get any rivalry between different devices (network walkman and vaio pocket excepted!). i prefer my vp anyway!

just reread it, it is an import from japan

6 REPLIES 6
dmslider
Visitor

Wouldnt it be nice if we had a reply from Sony regarding this one... Have we wasted our money on something which will no longer be updated ( if this other pocket is true )

everythingSony
Visitor

Thanks for post. Don't know what to make of it, I had a look through a few of the links and it appears they were announced to the media a week or so apart. This seems a bit strange that Sony would launch 2 similar (competing) types of products at the same time.

My original research on the VP was that it did actually provide video playback and was disappointed when I found out it couldn't (Sony's very early blurb actually mentioned it!). I asked around and one of the answers I got was that if Sony did bring out a new product with video playback they would probably provide a firmware update for the VP to give this functionality, in order to clear the shelves of the older model. At least this gives us some hope as the device obviously can support video (I rem an earlier post where somebody did experiment with converting a few files).

Surely, it's only a matter of time before someone (be it Sony, or some clever sod) who writes the software (be it Sony's own, or be it custom) in order to do this.

I think in the meantime Sony should work more on the interface, so that we can actually file and access our images, etc on the VP. Only then should they concentrate on the video.

Overall though, it is a cool device, with so much more potential!

kadafi
Visitor

Hadnt y'all seen the sony pmp before? it was released about the same time as vaio pocket, in japan... it's bulky though.. i dont see the point of video on a 2.2 inch screen.. it's simply too small to be practical

@4967457401015621
Visitor

no, i hadn't seen it, that was why i posted it! :tongue: i'm not too bothered about video, it would be nice but more of a gimmick than anything else. there's certainly a lot more that they could concentrate on.. *coughsonicstagecough*

everythingSony
Visitor

Sorry Kadafi, that's the first thing I thought but it's not the PMP.

I did a bit of background research and they are two different machines.

Look at the two links below and you can see that they look different (one has a 3.5 screen and the other a 4.5)

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/e3-sony-psp-high-resolution-shots-and-final-specs-016102.php

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/sony-hmp-a1-multi-player-review.html

That's what I meant by the comment that Sony are bringing out some very similar and competing products.

Let's just hope they fix the software for the VP, give us proper instructions and regular firmware updates. That's all I want...

J

@4967457401015621
Visitor

thanks for theose links, i was interested to see in the hmp review that sonic stage isn't being used for this device, and it apparently has no atrac compatibility. so can we expect to see a vaio pocket plugin for musicmatch jukebox becoming available? there isn't one yet but it may be round the corner.. and i'm not even going to start to guess sony's marketing strategies! all i can say is i'm happy with my vaio pocket, but sony could make me happier...