Join now - be part of our community!

formatting a vaio

c1181427
Visitor

formatting a vaio

since when i bought my sony k315z i did not receive any cd-rom, what do i do if i want to format everything?
how do i re-install the operating system? is it in the 2 recovery disks i created when got the computer?
i find my laptop a bit slow, under expectations, and i would like to format everything but i'm not sure about the possibility of reinstalling everything...
can you confirm that the OS is saved in the recovery disks?

thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
TygerTyger
Visitor

That is exactly what the recovery disks are for, however you may want to perform some sort of check to make sure all the data on the disks is intact before you start.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Make another copy to be on the safe side.

c1181427
Visitor

thanx!
so you are saying that if i explore the 2 disks i will find a directory with the OS?
I have noticed all the other programs but not the OS...i will check now...
:wink:

c1181427
Visitor

sorry, i forgot to ask you:
where would i find the OS?
in the application recovery disk or in the System one?

TygerTyger
Visitor

No. It doesn't work like that you can't just install the OS. The recovery puts the computer back to how it was when you first got it.

c1181427
Visitor

so you are saying that it will re install all the programs i don't need, as well as the OS?

TygerTyger
Visitor

That is correct. You are also not always able to install them individually either, so if you uninstall them straight afterwards make sure you don't get rid of anything you might need one day, or your only solution would probably be another recovery.

You are not provided with a copy of Windows XP in the way that you would have a Windows disk if you bought it separately. You just have the recovery disks you made, which is why it's very important to keep them safe.

c1181427
Visitor

well...thank you very much for your help...
however, i wasn't expecting this from sony....:smileydevil:

TygerTyger
Visitor

You'll get used to it.