Join now - be part of our community!

Sky Digital and Broadband

Phil772
Visitor

Sky Digital and Broadband

Hi,
Apologies if this is a bit off topic. I have sky didgital and was wondering how it works with broadband phone filters provided with ADSL modems. Should it plug into the phoneline part of the filter like a normal phone? What does sky digital use on the phone line? ADSL?

If anyone can rescue me from my ignorance on this matter I'd appreciate it. :thinking:

Thanks
Phil

16 REPLIES 16
Akanksha
Visitor

Yes, it goes into the filter where both your broadband and your TV signal comes.
Coz the satellite signals are encrypted it needs to authorize viewing which is generally done by dialing using the phone however I guess you could call them up to do it for you somehow, I am not sure how that works!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You should fit a filter on every phone line socket, like Sky, and your main phone.

Sky use a 56k modem to contact Sky to enter competitions, allow unencrypted Box Office watching (PPV) and sports events.

feederfan
Visitor

Our sky box never worked after we got broadband, if we want box office we have to phone up, very annoying! And yes i made sure ive used microfilters in the correct places n all the rest!

kee-lo_

Same problem, so I had to disconnect so they could watch Box Office.
Now we rent DVDs.

Sky now charge £65 just to look at the box, and if there's nothing wrong they still want £65..... damn meglomainiacs!

feederfan
Visitor

We had it worse, we had Sky out, they charged us £65 to tell us it was BT's fault, then my friends dad, who is a BT engineer said it was the sky box's fault! mad!

TygerTyger
Visitor

I had to disconnect Sky as well. In fact i had to take the panel off the front of the phone socket in order to plug it in because Sky had put their own one on. And I'm 99% sure it's Skys fault that it won't allow broadband, they as good as told me when I asked them.

It's in the Sky contract that it must be plugged into the phone at all times, so be sure to ring up and ask so there's a record and you can't get bitten later on.

kee-lo_

I hate Sky, bunch of meglomainacs!
They want to start their own BB you know.... probably an antitrust case

chris_lewis
Visitor

I use DSL Cable, phone, tv, Broadband through 1 coaxial cable,
With BT & Sky the only connection to your house is a standard phone line it cant do dial up & BB @ the same time.

Telewest (or Telestress as I now call them) have a brilliant system, just a shame ther customer service is not up to scratch.

C

kee-lo_

I don't understand why Sky doesn't upgrade the system to handle broadband connections.