Join now - be part of our community!

Formatting "D" Recovery drive

choodalls
Visitor

Formatting "D" Recovery drive

Hi,
I have a Vaio PCG-K295HP laptop with twin drives. When I bought the laptop I made the two recovery disks with the Recovery Utility.
Recently I went to open the recovery utility and got message to the effect that it wouldn't open because the recovery partition had been removed or been corrupted. Now I didn't remove it myself , so guess at some stage an application I have may have corrupted it making it unusable. Anyway not really bothered by this as I have got my own disks.
So, can I now re-format drive D to make it all usable or are there some other hidden folders etc. on there the system uses that I might screw up?
Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

😧 is not used for the reocvery partition, it's on a hidden partition.

choodalls
Visitor

So what is on "D" that is used by the system? When I check what's on it there seems to be about 4GB worth of stuff that is not visible - could it be being used by Norton Go Back - in which case I'm fine with deleting it, but I do not want to delete any system stuff. So, what do you think will re-formatting D mess up my system?

kee-lo_

D usually has the spare space left after C is made....
what other drives do you have?

choodalls
Visitor

Just C and D (I have a plug-in removable too). D allegedly has 23GB of space, and I only have 7GB of visible files on it, but system says there are only 10GB of free space leaving 6GB of apparently used space that I can see no folders for.....

avalancha
Visitor

Here's how it was with my VAIO

-- hidden partition with about 10GB
-- partition drive C with about 30GB
-- partition drive D with about 30GB

If u want to free the space (if u have already burned your recovery CDs) then just delete the hidden partition with

a) a partition manager like Partition magic or
b) use a WIN install CD - start the system with the CD, go as far as tot he question on which partition u want to install, then delete the hidden partition there.

I deleted the hidden partition with the WIN XP Pro CD, then added the space to Partition C.

Hope that helps

choodalls
Visitor

Thanks for that.
If I move my files out of D (only have four folders and can back up to my removable drive) then that would clear all my stuff from D temporarily.
I don't have Partition Magic or similar, but would doing a simple re-format on D then leave it all usable so I can pop my folders back into it?
Thanks.

kee-lo_

I would use Norton Ghost if you have it before doing any operations

choodalls
Visitor

Okay will do.....I don't want to mess anything up.
Thanks for all the input.
Dave.

mauricetgol
Visitor

Here's how it was with my VAIO

-- hidden partition with about 10GB
-- partition drive C with about 30GB
-- partition drive D with about 30GB

If u want to free the space (if u have already burned your recovery CDs) then just delete the hidden partition with

a) a partition manager like Partition magic or
b) use a WIN install CD - start the system with the CD, go as far as tot he question on which partition u want to install, then delete the hidden partition there.

I deleted the hidden partition with the WIN XP Pro CD, then added the space to Partition C.

Hope that helps

That makes our HD 70 GIGA?