Join now - be part of our community!

Freezes due to Graphics drive .. Help

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
NewPrince
Visitor

Freezes due to Graphics drive .. Help

I have experienced several freezes in the system. Each time it takes about 5-10 seconds and the the system start normal again except for videos (mainly on Youtube) in which, the video turns green (just a green screen) and I get an error message stays for 2 seconds that says ( the graphics drive has stopped .... I couldn't read the rest). I noticed this freeze after updating the driver about two weeks ago. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M. BTW, I can't Roll Back Driver.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NewPrince,

I assume that you installed the graphics driver update (NVIDIA) - 8.17.12.6893? If so try the original driver Version 8.17.12.6780 – available from here – listed under pre-installed drivers and utilities.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF22C5E/updates

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NewPrince,

Which model Vaio do you have and from where did you download the graphics driver update?

You should be able to uninstall the existing driver and re-install the original from the Support site.

Or you could try a system restore back to a date prior to installing the upgrade.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NewPrince
Visitor

Hi rich912,

It's VPC-F22C5E and I got the update via VAIO update centre,. So, uninstalling and then reinstalling would get me the same driver software. Unfortunatly, the system restor is disabled because System protection is turned off and I couldn't turn it ON.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NewPrince,

I assume that you installed the graphics driver update (NVIDIA) - 8.17.12.6893? If so try the original driver Version 8.17.12.6780 – available from here – listed under pre-installed drivers and utilities.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF22C5E/updates

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NewPrince
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I'll un-install the updated one and reinstall the original. Let's see what will happen.

Cheers mate.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NewPrince,

Good luck with that. Hopefully it is just a driver problem, but let us know how things go.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NewPrince
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I will. Thanks mate.

NewPrince
Visitor

Hi Rich912

Just to say that the original drive worked for me and there is no lags anymore.

Thanks for the advice mate.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're very welcome NewPrince - pleased to hear that it worked :slight_smile:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat