Join now - be part of our community!

[:((] FS295XP Hard Disk Replacement Advice [:((]

CADmonkey
Visitor

[:((] FS295XP Hard Disk Replacement Advice [:((]

Don't ask me how but last week I managed to drop my VAIO while it was turned on. :smileyblush: :cry:
Not from a huge height but enough for it to freeze. I tried to reboot it but got a `operating system not found' message.
I presume my hard disk is damaged and I need to replace it?
I created the recovery disks when I first got my VAIO so do I just need to get a replacement hard disk and use the recovery disks?
Does it matter what hard disk I get to replace it?
Will the recovery disks work with a larger capacity or quicker hard disk?
It's got a 100GB Toshiba hard disk in it at the moment. Can anybody recommend a new hard disk?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

CAD Monkey

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi CAD Monkey,

Sounds like an expensive drop !!

Any parallel ATA drive should be OK as long as it is the standard size of 100 X 60 X 9.5 mm.

Have a look at the 160GB Seagate Momentus - make sure you buy the Ultra ATA version.

You can buy a cheap external caddy to put your old drive in and connect to any PC by USB. This would let you explore the old drive and retrieve available data.

EXTERNAL 2.5" Enclosures

:wink:

CADmonkey
Visitor

Cheers Ears!

Would it matter if it was a larger capacity than the original as it was pre-partitioned? Therefore is there a chance that it would recognise that it's a non standard capacity and it go `tits up' during recovery?

CAD Monkey?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi CADmonkey,

You should be fine - several other members have installed bigger drives.

I think the recovery will let you choose the sizes for C: & D if you choose C: & 😧 drive recovery (Change Partiton Sizes).

CADmonkey
Visitor

Have a look at the 160GB Seagate Momentus - make sure you buy the Ultra ATA version.

How do you know if it's the Ultra ATA version?

Was looking at spending a bit less than that to be honest. Also I've been told that seagate can have reliability problems, is this true?

If they are ok how about this one?

or this?

Any other suggestions?

CAD:smileymonkey:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi CADmonkey,

I'm sure they will all be fine - no such thing as a poor Hard Disc these days!

Ultra ATA was only applicable to that particular drive. You just have to make sure you don't buy a serial SATA drive as it won't fit.

Seagate or Hitachi seem the most popular choice at the moment.

7200 RPM HITACHI TRAVELSTAR

5400 RPM HITACHI TRAVELSTAR