Join now - be part of our community!

Future firmware updates

Joshharle
Visitor

Future firmware updates

I read somewhere (probably baseless rumour) that a future firmware update would give us video playback, and ebook viewing.

I can imagine the the video playback is a bit optimistic, but the ebook feature doesn't seem too difficult, at least with repects to the processing power limits. This would also be fantastically cool. :slight_smile:

What is the likelyhood? Was this just BS?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Only the future will tell.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Only the future will tell.

LOL:smileylaugh:

You sound like Gypsy Lee!

Heard similar rumours. Heard other ones that said the release was the 18 or the 21st . But, until something gets said or published for real, I guess we'll all have to take comfort from Kee-Lo's visionary wisdom.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I guess we'll all have to take comfort from Kee-Lo's visionary wisdom.

ROFLMAO Nice1 TR!! Hehe... Never knew Kee-Lo had Clarvoyant powers (*gaze into my crystal ball*) - only kidding!:smileylaugh:

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

hahahahah:smileylaugh:

He'll be asking us to cross his palm with silver next:smileylaugh:

On second thoughts it could be expensive for me!:smileycry:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

ROFLMAO but i'm skint!:smileylaugh: :laughing: :laughing: Brass coins will have to do:smileylaugh:

kee-lo_

Haha I'm no clairvoyant, but if needed I could probably give utter BS and get paid for it!

Joshharle
Visitor

Actually I've been thinking laterally, and have sort of implemented a very limitted movie thing.

Used xcapture to grab frames from a movie (every 2.75 seconds, although I think the slideshow refresh is closer to 2.65) and seperated sound. then played sound file at the same time as watching slideshow. Not toooo bad. Better than nothing. Would help to know the exact refresh of slideshow.

Also, outputting from pdf to something slightly smaller than 320x256 can be used for ebook type viewing. This works much better than the movie thing. The screen resolution allows for a reasonable amount of text on each "page". Implemented using slideshow/picture viewer. Maybe I should write an app for automated conversion? Any interest?

Josh

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Haha I'm no clairvoyant, but if needed I could probably give utter BS and get paid for it!

Hehe, sorry mate just a sneaky little poke there![:">] :laughing: :tongue:

Also, outputting from pdf to something slightly smaller than 320x256 can be used for ebook type viewing. This works much better than the movie thing. The screen resolution allows for a reasonable amount of text on each "page". Implemented using slideshow/picture viewer. Maybe I should write an app for automated conversion? Any interest?

Good idea, ebooks are very useful, and if you can get a Sony VAIOPocket to do this then that would be very cool...
:smileygrin:

kee-lo_

You got that idea from a Mac website, they did this with iPod Photo.

No problem James :slight_smile: