Join now - be part of our community!

Getting really hot in winter

waleed_wc
Visitor

Getting really hot in winter

Hi,
you should clean your fans out, if the problem still presists then it can be that the heatsink in your laptop maybe very dusty and causes cooling down problems, and you said that your laptop processor temperature reatures 67degrees, are you 100% sure, because if it is winter, it definitely isn't right, try to get a replacement heat sink and fan for your laptop, dont try anything you dont know about because you may end up in a disaster.
Email if you need anymore help on waleed_wc@hotmail.com
Cant promise anything

4 REPLIES 4
jodyblueskies
Visitor

Hello all,

I have a VAIO PCG-GRV516G. I use this laptop mainly for live visual performances using software like ArKaos that is very processor related. To prepare my visual performances i use software like Adobe Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop and Bryce 3d.

I have been experiencing 3 kinds of problems with it my laptop:

- Overheating - as soon as i turn the laptop on the fan goes wild and i have to recurr to headphones . I downloaded the small application posted here on the forum and i just turned my computer on and it shows:
Frequency: 2.40 GHz, Temperature: 67.0C, Charge Rate: 21.30w, HDD #0 55.0C

When using ArKaos or Bryce 3D the computer overheats so much that it shutsdown. I usually have a big fan on my live performances.

By the way i am in germany and it is winter here and it is like -4 degrees celsius at the moment outside. inside room temperature here - i have the windows open so i can work on Bryce :slight_frown: - must be about 2 degrees celsius.

- Sometimes it boots sometimes it does not
This is a strange thing. Sometimes the laptop boots sometimes it does not. Just like that. The Microsoft problem solver said that the problem was with the ATI card (7500c). The laptop does turn on and off - with the noise from the ventilator coming in all strong - but it does not go anywhere from there. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to finally get my laptop in work mood

- After stand-by sound is gone.
When the computer goes in stand-by mode and i re-activate it the sound is gone meaning that i have to reboot the computer and that takes me another 30 to 45 minutes... you get the picture.

This is a working laptop and i bought it because i thought it was a reliable machine but more and more it leaves me standing. Last month i had a gig in Portugal and at the airport people were looking at me with my bags and a fan on my hand when it was snowing outside and around -7 degrees. Then i could not take the fan with me - apparently is a very dangerous weapon inside an airplane - and so when i got to my gig i had to ask for a fan to the promoter who looked at me like i was some kind of Alien. VAIO adventures i guess.

Is anyone experiencing the same problems and are there any solutions for this?
I need my laptop almost 16 hours a day and from this weekend until september i have live performances every weekend fridays and saturdays so to return the laptop is hardly a solution for me at the time. does Sony have a replacement program?

Thanks for all the help that you can give me!

William
Visitor
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah it seems to be very common, cleaning the fans out often will stop the problem occuring.

jodyblueskies
Visitor

Thank you for your help!
regarding the other 2 issues any info that i can get?

blue skies,
jody